What is this instrument called? - Photoptics

• Thread starter johnintheuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instrument
In summary, the conversation discusses a spectrograph that is not used for chemical analysis in the lab. The receptor is loose and can be used for analyzing the spectral output of a source. The person is looking for a spectrometer or spectrograph for non-chemistry use, potentially using terminology such as "fiber spectrometer" or "fibre-fed/oem spectrograph."
johnintheuk
It's a spectrograph but not used for chemical analysis in the lab, the receptor is loose and can be used for analyzing the spectral output of a source.

It's not a photometer, that's either the receiver alone or tends to work at only one frequency.

I've seen them labeled as spectrographs, but that's pulling up a whole load of bench top sample analyzers for chemists.

Loose receiver that will give me a spectrum.

Thanks for any help!

Science news on Phys.org
It's a spectrometer (or spectrograph or spectroscope = same thing ) something like this http://fiberopticspectrometer.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at some labeled as spectrographs as well. Is there any terminology I can use to bias my searches towards the none chemistry version?

I guess the majority of them use fibers to get the light back to the grating and diodes, so fiber spectrometer might be a good start.

fibre-fed or oem spectrograph ?

1. What is photoptics?

Photoptics is a branch of physics that deals with the study and manipulation of light, specifically its generation, propagation, and interaction with matter.

2. What types of instruments are used in photoptics?

There are various types of instruments used in photoptics, including lenses, mirrors, prisms, filters, detectors, and lasers. These instruments are used to manipulate, measure, and detect light in different ways.

3. How does photoptics differ from photonics?

Photoptics and photonics are closely related fields, but they have some key differences. Photoptics focuses on the fundamental properties and behavior of light, while photonics focuses on the practical applications of light, such as in communication and technology.

4. What is the purpose of using instruments in photoptics?

The purpose of using instruments in photoptics is to control and measure light in order to better understand its properties and behavior. This information can then be used to develop new technologies and applications.

5. How is photoptics used in scientific research?

Photoptics is used in a wide range of scientific research, from understanding the properties of light in different environments to developing new technologies and applications. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, biology, chemistry, and medicine to study and analyze light-related phenomena.