1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this instrument called? - Photoptics

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    It's a spectrograph but not used for chemical analysis in the lab, the receptor is loose and can be used for analyzing the spectral output of a source.

It's not a photometer, that's either the receiver alone or tends to work at only one frequency.

I've seen them labeled as spectrographs, but that's pulling up a whole load of bench top sample analyzers for chemists.

Loose receiver that will give me a spectrum.

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a spectrometer (or spectrograph or spectroscope = same thing ) something like this http://fiberopticspectrometer.com/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 5, 2009 #3
    I'm looking at some labeled as spectrographs as well. Is there any terminology I can use to bias my searches towards the none chemistry version?

I guess the majority of them use fibers to get the light back to the grating and diodes, so fiber spectrometer might be a good start.

5. Feb 5, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

fibre-fed or oem spectrograph ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook