What is this symbol in this circuit and its functionality?

In summary: The device in red circle is a capacitor with a resistor in parallel with it. The semicircle at the end of the capacitor is the presence indicator. The capacitor is used to indicate the presence of voltage at the controller end.
ppokhare
I have been working on a circuit and the manual shows a diode in parallel with "CR". I think it might either a control relay or a crystal rectifier. I am having problem building the part between +ve terminal of the 24VDC power supply and the 9 /IN POSITION terminal Can anyone please help me figure out how to achieve this circuit? This is a part of a control panel for a torch lifter system. Any input would be appreciated.
beis0.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
CR is the coil for a control relay. The diode is there to protect associated circuits from flyback when the magnetic field in the relay coil falls.

Likes davenn
Averagesupernova said:
CR is the coil for a control relay. The diode is there to protect associated circuits from flyback when the magnetic field in the relay coil falls.

yes agreed and the contacts for the said relay are the ones you see just above it, the single pole double throw

I don't want to make a new thread because this is a really dumb question, so I will use this one. I hope it's ok.
So my question is: What kind of device is in red circle?
aaa.JPG

It looks like a capacitor, but I don't know what that semicircle is at the end of it.

I am pretty sure it is showing a cap with the other end of the cap terminating on the shield of the conductor - that is why on the end near the switch there is also the Ground symbol floating in "space" Indicating the shied is grounded at the controller end, and the far end ( termination) has a capacitor to the shield to pass any noise or V spikes to the shield.

Windadct said:
I am pretty sure it is showing a cap with the other end of the cap terminating on the shield of the conductor - that is why on the end near the switch there is also the Ground symbol floating in "space" Indicating the shied is grounded at the controller end, and the far end ( termination) has a capacitor to the shield to pass any noise or V spikes to the shield.
I've never seen this way of expressing those standard symbols before. Interesting and makes sense. Is this a "standard" used in "data/com" or some other wiring specialty?

Thanks for replies. I made some additional reasearch myself and it looks like it is voltage presence indicator based on capacitive divider, which actually makes sense, because I saw the symbol mainly in hight voltage schematics.

Related to What is this symbol in this circuit and its functionality?

What is a symbol in a circuit?

A symbol in a circuit is a graphical representation of an electrical component or element, such as a resistor, capacitor, or power source. It is used to simplify and standardize circuit diagrams for easier understanding and interpretation.

What is the functionality of a symbol in a circuit?

The functionality of a symbol in a circuit is to indicate the type, purpose, and characteristics of the electrical component it represents. It also helps in understanding the connections and relationships between different components in a circuit.

Why are symbols used in circuits instead of actual images?

Symbols are used in circuits instead of actual images because they are easier to draw, more standardized, and less cluttered. They also allow for easier modifications and simplification of complex circuits.

Where can I find a reference for circuit symbols?

The most commonly used reference for circuit symbols is the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standard symbol library. This can be found online or in textbooks and manuals related to electrical engineering or electronics.

What are some common symbols used in circuits and their meanings?

Some common symbols used in circuits are: a resistor (a zigzag line), a capacitor (two parallel lines), a battery (two long parallel lines), and a switch (a gap in a line). Each of these symbols represents a specific electronic component and its function in a circuit.