1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this well known probability distribution?

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a probability density function:
    f[itex]_{X}[/itex](x) = θk[itex]^{θ}[/itex]x[itex]^{-θ-1}[/itex] when x > k and 0 everywhere else
    And:
    Y = θlog(X/k)

Find the probability density function for Y. What well known density function is this?

2. Relevant equations
    I dont really know where to start...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first tried solving for x and:
    X = ke[itex]^{Y/θ}[/itex]
    Plugging this into f(x):
    f[itex]_{Y}[/itex](y) = θk[itex]^{θ}[/itex](ke[itex]^{y/θ}[/itex])[itex]^{-θ-1}[/itex]

I also tried going the other way around:
    f[itex]_{Y}[/itex](x) = θlog(θk[itex]^{θ-1}[/itex]x[itex]^{-θ-1}[/itex])

But, I dont really know what to do and where to start.. ...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can't simply rewrite fX(x) in terms of Y the way you did. It's a little more complicated. The correct relationship is
    $$f_X(x)\,dx = f_Y(y)\,dy$$ where I've assumed both dx and dy are positive. The idea here is that interval (x, x+dx) corresponds to the interval (y, y+dy) so the probability that X is in the interval (x, x+dx), which is given by the lefthand side of the equation, should be equal to the probability Y is in the interval (y, y+dy), which is given by the righthand side of the equation. Solving for fY(y), you get
    $$f_Y(y) = \frac{f_X(x)}{|dy/dx|}.$$ The absolute value is necessary to cover the case where dx>0 corresponds to dy<0. That is, when y decreases as x increases.

4. Jun 4, 2012 #3
    Actually, I had to use the fundamental theorem of calculus:

[itex]\frac{d}{dy}[/itex]∫[itex]^{y}_{0}[/itex]f(x)dx = f(y)

Therefore;
    [itex]\frac{d}{dy}[/itex]∫[itex]^{ke^(Y/θ)}_{0}[/itex]θk[itex]^{θ}[/itex]x[itex]^{-(θ+1)}[/itex]dx
    = [itex]\frac{d}{dy}[/itex]-e[itex]^{-y}[/itex]
    = e[itex]^{-y}[/itex]
    And, this is the exponential distribution..

Or... Am I wrong again?

5. Jun 4, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you are now correct.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook