What is your favourite bread?

and why? Dark, rye sourdough? Focaccia? Banana bread…? Seeded?

Answers and Replies

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2021 Award
To eat what?

Where shall I start? We have twice as many sorts of bread as we have breweries!

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
What is your favourite[sic] bread?
Good bread. I like good bread. There are all kinds of bread and sometimes it's good (of that kind) and sometimes it isn't. I like it when it is.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, pinball1970 and BillTre
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Quite soft, but

I’m experimenting with making a bunch of sandwiches with different breads for next week; need some crazy ideas.

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2021 Award
I’m experimenting with making a bunch of sandwiches with different breads for next week; need some crazy ideas.
How far from the usual triangle sandwiches at the local gas station do you want to go?

How far from the usual triangle sandwiches at the local gas station do you want to go?
Those do irritate me... sandwiches should be rectangular :)

I think my favourite three are probably:
- farmhouse loaf; hearty, traditional & nice with scrambled eggs
- sourdough; somewhat more nutritious and packs a bit more flavour than regular bread. However, it is a little more dense, so one cannot have too much of it.
- naan bread; no Indian take-away would be complete without it.

On the flip-side, I really can't stand the texture of seeded bread - which is a shame, because I do rather like the whole-grain/darker breads (which are the ones that are often filled with seeds).

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I crave a Muffalata sandwich on a nice round french farmhouse Boule. Full of cured meats, cheeses and olives it is certainly not a healthful delight, but one my favorite sandwiches. Best if pressed overnight in the fridge. A spherical picnic

For just the bread you need to mention a well-made bagel, too.

Likes gleem and ergospherical
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2021 Award
A bun with butter, fresh ground beef (raw), onions, salt, and pepper.

Likes ergospherical
That reminds me... I did have a brilliant salt beef bagel (w/ gherkin & english mustard) in Borough Market a few months back. I don't usually go for bagels since they're pretty highly calorific, but I think in that instance it was well worth it :)

Likes hutchphd and Astronuc
vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Peanut butter and pickled onions.

Likes ergospherical
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Sacrelige! (Spellcheck says no dice.)

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It depends on the fillings. I usually like dark or marbled rye with pastrami and pepperjack cheese, or with a 'Reuben'. I like Starbuck's gouda and bacon breakfast sandwich in a ciabatta roll, or a panini (focaccia) with steak and cheese, with jalapeños and pepperoncinis.

At home we use multigrain breads or rolls.

Likes ergospherical
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
... or a panini ...
The singular should be panino, surely?

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is it with people and Sourdough? I have made my own bread for years and years, starting off with bread-makers (I wore out two before moving on to my present one). For the past five or six years, I have used a kitchen mixer to do the hard work and it's consistent; that's important to get reliable baking results. So I think I know the business well enough.
I tried sourdough and got the starter to work after a week or so (iirc). The results were disappointing but much the same as the hyped up stuff I've bought in 'good' bakers' shops. The sour taste is not unpleasant but different from regular bread. The holes are enormous and the crust it chewy and not crisp.
If I want big holes, I make a ciabatta style. If I want 'sour', I make sandwiches with the appropriate cheese.
I think Sourdough is an example of the Emperor's New Clothes, frankly. It's just not special in any way. Faffing around with the starter is just another task and it's a bad as having to look after a pet!

Likes ergospherical and Bystander
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
On the flip-side, I really can't stand the texture of seeded bread - which is a shame, because I do rather like the whole-grain/darker breads (which are the ones that are often filled with seeds).
Seems to me you should consider making your own bread. You can choose from a whole range of flours and can go for any 'colour' / taste you like without needing to include the seeds. I usually have a regular very strong white base, for a reliable 'bubbles' and 'cut it' with more interesting flour.

People pay a fortune for anything that's not plastic and sliced in a bag.

Likes ergospherical
rsk
Homemade white loaf stuffed with cheese and jalopeños. Probably a bit of thyme in there as well.

Likes ergospherical
hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I confess to a fondness for peanut butter and dill pickle on whole wheat toast. I'm not proud of it but there it is....\

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, ergospherical and collinsmark
Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread when lunch is still hours away...

and Brioche mmmmm. Basically just a vehicle for butter mmmmmm.

• Haha
Likes ergospherical
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
I confess to a fondness for peanut butter and dill pickle on whole wheat toast. I'm not proud of it but there it is....\
I have a personal objective to try to learn to like peanut butter, so that I have a good alternative to my cheese sandwich when I'm out hill-walking.

Likes ergospherical
hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sacrelige! (Spellcheck says no dice.)
I always get this word wrong so I looked it up.....it is sacrilege: from the latin legere=to steal. Now I will remember.

Likes Bystander and ergospherical
Seems to me you should consider making your own bread. You can choose from a whole range of flours and can go for any 'colour' / taste you like without needing to include the seeds. I usually have a regular very strong white base, for a reliable 'bubbles' and 'cut it' with more interesting flour.
When time permits... but perhaps more problematic is that my kitchen doesn't have an oven :)

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Life's too short to start making your own bread.

Likes BillTre, fresh_42 and ergospherical
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2021 Award
When time permits... but perhaps more problematic is that my kitchen doesn't have an oven :)
As tempting as it might be, please avoid open fire!

As tempting as it might be, please avoid open fire!
Ah, that must be why the fire-alarm's been going off at 8am pretty much every other day this past week; all the students must have for some reason decided to try their hand at baking snøbrod over makeshift campfires. I'll stick to my trusty microwave, thanks!