Which Bread Reigns Supreme: Dark Rye Sourdough, Focaccia, Banana, or Seeded?

• Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
In Summary, people seem to be divided on whether or not Sourdough is worth the fuss. Seeded bread is not as popular as some people would like it to be. People generally like good bread, but their favourite changes depending on the filling.
ergospherical
and why? Dark, rye sourdough? Focaccia? Banana bread…? Seeded?

Physics news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
To eat what?

Where shall I start? We have twice as many sorts of bread as we have breweries!

ergospherical said:
What is your favourite[sic] bread?
Good bread. I like good bread. There are all kinds of bread and sometimes it's good (of that kind) and sometimes it isn't. I like it when it is.

• Haha
Likes Klystron, Keith_McClary, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Quite soft, but

• Haha
Likes BillTre
I’m experimenting with making a bunch of sandwiches with different breads for next week; need some crazy ideas.

ergospherical said:
I’m experimenting with making a bunch of sandwiches with different breads for next week; need some crazy ideas.
How far from the usual triangle sandwiches at the local gas station do you want to go?

• Haha
Likes Astronuc
fresh_42 said:
How far from the usual triangle sandwiches at the local gas station do you want to go?
Those do irritate me... sandwiches should be rectangular :)

I think my favourite three are probably:
- farmhouse loaf; hearty, traditional & nice with scrambled eggs
- sourdough; somewhat more nutritious and packs a bit more flavour than regular bread. However, it is a little more dense, so one cannot have too much of it.
- naan bread; no Indian take-away would be complete without it.

On the flip-side, I really can't stand the texture of seeded bread - which is a shame, because I do rather like the whole-grain/darker breads (which are the ones that are often filled with seeds).

I crave a Muffalata sandwich on a nice round french farmhouse Boule. Full of cured meats, cheeses and olives it is certainly not a healthful delight, but one my favorite sandwiches. Best if pressed overnight in the fridge. A spherical picnic

For just the bread you need to mention a well-made bagel, too.

Likes gleem and ergospherical
A bun with butter, fresh ground beef (raw), onions, salt, and pepper.

Likes ergospherical
That reminds me... I did have a brilliant salt beef bagel (w/ gherkin & english mustard) in Borough Market a few months back. I don't usually go for bagels since they're pretty highly calorific, but I think in that instance it was well worth it :)

Likes hutchphd and Astronuc
ergospherical said:
Peanut butter and pickled onions.

Likes ergospherical
vela said:
Sacrelige! (Spellcheck says no dice.)

ergospherical said:
It depends on the fillings. I usually like dark or marbled rye with pastrami and pepperjack cheese, or with a 'Reuben'. I like Starbuck's gouda and bacon breakfast sandwich in a ciabatta roll, or a panini (focaccia) with steak and cheese, with jalapeños and pepperoncinis.

At home we use multigrain breads or rolls.

Likes ergospherical
Astronuc said:
... or a panini ...
The singular should be panino, surely?

Likes sophiecentaur
What is it with people and Sourdough? I have made my own bread for years and years, starting off with bread-makers (I wore out two before moving on to my present one). For the past five or six years, I have used a kitchen mixer to do the hard work and it's consistent; that's important to get reliable baking results. So I think I know the business well enough.
I tried sourdough and got the starter to work after a week or so (iirc). The results were disappointing but much the same as the hyped up stuff I've bought in 'good' bakers' shops. The sour taste is not unpleasant but different from regular bread. The holes are enormous and the crust it chewy and not crisp.
If I want big holes, I make a ciabatta style. If I want 'sour', I make sandwiches with the appropriate cheese.
I think Sourdough is an example of the Emperor's New Clothes, frankly. It's just not special in any way. Faffing around with the starter is just another task and it's a bad as having to look after a pet!

Likes ergospherical and Bystander
ergospherical said:
On the flip-side, I really can't stand the texture of seeded bread - which is a shame, because I do rather like the whole-grain/darker breads (which are the ones that are often filled with seeds).
Seems to me you should consider making your own bread. You can choose from a whole range of flours and can go for any 'colour' / taste you like without needing to include the seeds. I usually have a regular very strong white base, for a reliable 'bubbles' and 'cut it' with more interesting flour.

People pay a fortune for anything that's not plastic and sliced in a bag.

Likes ergospherical
Homemade white loaf stuffed with cheese and jalopeños. Probably a bit of thyme in there as well.

Likes Klystron and ergospherical
vela said:
I confess to a fondness for peanut butter and dill pickle on whole wheat toast. I'm not proud of it but there it is...\

• Haha
Likes Klystron, Astronuc, ergospherical and 1 other person
Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread when lunch is still hours away...

and Brioche mmmmm. Basically just a vehicle for butter mmmmmm.

• Haha
Likes ergospherical
hutchphd said:
I confess to a fondness for peanut butter and dill pickle on whole wheat toast. I'm not proud of it but there it is...\
I have a personal objective to try to learn to like peanut butter, so that I have a good alternative to my cheese sandwich when I'm out hill-walking.

Likes ergospherical
Bystander said:
Sacrelige! (Spellcheck says no dice.)
I always get this word wrong so I looked it up...it is sacrilege: from the latin legere=to steal. Now I will remember.

Likes rsk, Bystander and ergospherical
sophiecentaur said:
Seems to me you should consider making your own bread. You can choose from a whole range of flours and can go for any 'colour' / taste you like without needing to include the seeds. I usually have a regular very strong white base, for a reliable 'bubbles' and 'cut it' with more interesting flour.
When time permits... but perhaps more problematic is that my kitchen doesn't have an oven :)

Likes PeroK
Life's too short to start making your own bread.

Likes Klystron, BillTre, fresh_42 and 1 other person
ergospherical said:
When time permits... but perhaps more problematic is that my kitchen doesn't have an oven :)
As tempting as it might be, please avoid open fire!

• Haha
Likes Klystron
fresh_42 said:
As tempting as it might be, please avoid open fire!
Ah, that must be why the fire-alarm's been going off at 8am pretty much every other day this past week; all the students must have for some reason decided to try their hand at baking snøbrod over makeshift campfires. I'll stick to my trusty microwave, thanks!

Likes PeroK
Haborix said:
Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread when lunch is still hours away...

and Brioche mmmmm. Basically just a vehicle for butter mmmmmm.
Put an egg in it and call it breakfast or brunch.

Likes Haborix
PeroK said:
Life's too short to start making your own bread.
My parents made homemade bread a family affair.

For whatever reason, one day dad decided to make bread, so he and mom made a large batch of bread dough. Kids got involved, mainly because so many loaves and kneading dough correctly took a while. We would fill several tins then fill the oven which was set to low heat. Tins that didn't go into the oven went on top of the water heater. The bread was actually very good, and we gave away loaves to friends.

Mom and dad also made homemade marmalade, with some variations with orange and grapefruit. We might have made lemon and lime one time, but it was mostly orange and grapefruit.

In my early years, we grew a lot of our own food, since we lived in two rural towns. My mom made a lot of preserves, and pies and cakes from scratch. She stopped making preserves once we moved to the suburbs of a large city, but pies and cakes continued.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and PeroK
hutchphd said:
I always get this word wrong so I looked it up...it is sacrilege:
The one combination I didn't try...the root isn't "religion," at least as I was thinking.

Likes hutchphd
sophiecentaur said:
I tried sourdough and got the starter to work after a week or so (iirc). The results were disappointing but much the same as the hyped up stuff I've bought in 'good' bakers' shops. The sour taste is not unpleasant but different from regular bread. The holes are enormous and the crust it chewy and not crisp.
If I want big holes, I make a ciabatta style. If I want 'sour', I make sandwiches with the appropriate cheese.
I think Sourdough is an example of the Emperor's New Clothes, frankly. It's just not special in any way. Faffing around with the starter is just another task and it's a bad as having to look after a pet!
The idea behind sourdough isn't so much to make sour bread, but to use wild yeast to leaven the bread. Wild yeast takes a lot longer than commercial yeast to get going, so the dough takes longer to ferment, which generally means better flavor. A side effect of the longer fermentation time is that the bacteria have more time to produce acids, making the dough sour if given enough time.

You can make sourdough that isn't sour. That's usually what I do since I don't care for sour bread. And if you make it right, the crust will come out crispy, though I haven't had much luck with my last few loaves.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
vela said:
You can make sourdough that isn't sour.
None of you guys seem to know how good sausage has to taste. It requires sourdough bread. These white limb slices you call bread are at most suited for jam.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for bread with a sour tang. I was just pointing out sourdough isn't equivalent to sour bread. You can make good sourdough that has a pleasant sour tang, but you can also make quite tasty sourdough bread that isn't sour.

Likes Klystron
vela said:
You can make sourdough that isn't sour.
Wow. How do you do that? I'm not sure of an advantage to using the wild microbes - except to say you can do it (which is not a bad thing, actually).
fresh_42 said:
It requires sourdough bread. These white limb slices you call bread are at most suited for jam.
I already used the term "false dichotomy" this weekend. I agree that there are alternative breads that are a lot better than the "white limb slices" you refer to but they don't all involve wholemeal flour.

Fresh, home baked bread is such heavenly stuff.

sophiecentaur said:
Fresh, home baked bread is such heavenly stuff.
Fresh from the oven is always best!

I looked it up for this thread. We have 3,000+ sorts of bread here. It really depends on what you want to eat it with. The standard bread is rye-wheat mixed, peeled corn; I prefer rye-sourdough bread.

Likes Astronuc
fresh_42 said:
Fresh from the oven is always best!
Difficult to cut until it's cooled down to near room temperature. But tearing a bit off can be a temptation.
fresh_42 said:
It really depends on what you want to eat it with.
You're probably right but, with only two of us. A loaf won't be eaten in one meal so we usually need an all purpose bread. Seeded makes a nice change and half and half rye and wheat is nice.
Bread's a lot like home brew in that the stuff you make yourself tends to be your favourite and you can get into a rut. (Allowed when you reach my age, young man.)

sophiecentaur said:
Wow. How do you do that? I'm not sure of an advantage to using the wild microbes - except to say you can do it (which is not a bad thing, actually).

It comes down to controlling the dough's fermentation. As a dough ferments, its flavor develops, but the bacteria in the dough are simultaneously producing acids increasing its sourness. You're looking to strike the right balance.

I make La Brea Bakery's country white loaf. Nancy Silverton describes how to make it in her book Breads from the La Brea Bakery. I didn't make a starter the way she instructs, which is an incredible waste of flour. I use my usual 50-50 starter and adjust the amounts of flour and water for the dough.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and Astronuc
<h2>1. What is the difference between dark rye sourdough, focaccia, banana, and seeded bread?</h2><p>Dark rye sourdough bread is made from a combination of rye flour and a sourdough starter, giving it a distinct tangy flavor. Focaccia is a flat Italian bread that is often topped with herbs and olive oil. Banana bread is a sweet bread made with mashed bananas, and seeded bread contains a variety of seeds such as sunflower, pumpkin, and flax.</p><h2>2. Which bread is the healthiest option?</h2><p>In terms of health benefits, dark rye sourdough bread would be the best option. Rye flour is higher in fiber and nutrients than white flour, and the fermentation process of sourdough can make it easier to digest. However, all of these breads can be part of a healthy diet in moderation.</p><h2>3. Can any of these breads be made gluten-free?</h2><p>Yes, all of these breads can be made gluten-free with the appropriate substitutions. Dark rye sourdough can be made with gluten-free rye flour, focaccia can be made with gluten-free flour blends, banana bread can be made with gluten-free flour and mashed bananas, and seeded bread can be made with gluten-free flour and gluten-free seeds.</p><h2>4. Which bread is the best for sandwiches or toast?</h2><p>This is a matter of personal preference, but focaccia and seeded bread tend to be popular choices for sandwiches and toast due to their texture and ability to hold toppings well. However, dark rye sourdough and banana bread can also make delicious and unique sandwich or toast options.</p><h2>5. Are any of these breads suitable for people with dietary restrictions?</h2><p>As mentioned before, all of these breads can be made gluten-free. Additionally, banana bread can be made vegan by using plant-based milk and oil instead of dairy products, and focaccia and seeded bread can also be made vegan by omitting any animal-based ingredients. It is always important to check the ingredients and substitutions used to ensure the bread is suitable for your specific dietary needs.</p>

1. What is the difference between dark rye sourdough, focaccia, banana, and seeded bread?

Dark rye sourdough bread is made from a combination of rye flour and a sourdough starter, giving it a distinct tangy flavor. Focaccia is a flat Italian bread that is often topped with herbs and olive oil. Banana bread is a sweet bread made with mashed bananas, and seeded bread contains a variety of seeds such as sunflower, pumpkin, and flax.

2. Which bread is the healthiest option?

In terms of health benefits, dark rye sourdough bread would be the best option. Rye flour is higher in fiber and nutrients than white flour, and the fermentation process of sourdough can make it easier to digest. However, all of these breads can be part of a healthy diet in moderation.

3. Can any of these breads be made gluten-free?

Yes, all of these breads can be made gluten-free with the appropriate substitutions. Dark rye sourdough can be made with gluten-free rye flour, focaccia can be made with gluten-free flour blends, banana bread can be made with gluten-free flour and mashed bananas, and seeded bread can be made with gluten-free flour and gluten-free seeds.

4. Which bread is the best for sandwiches or toast?

This is a matter of personal preference, but focaccia and seeded bread tend to be popular choices for sandwiches and toast due to their texture and ability to hold toppings well. However, dark rye sourdough and banana bread can also make delicious and unique sandwich or toast options.

5. Are any of these breads suitable for people with dietary restrictions?

As mentioned before, all of these breads can be made gluten-free. Additionally, banana bread can be made vegan by using plant-based milk and oil instead of dairy products, and focaccia and seeded bread can also be made vegan by omitting any animal-based ingredients. It is always important to check the ingredients and substitutions used to ensure the bread is suitable for your specific dietary needs.