What kind of fun can I have with an EE degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of modifying and overclocking current computer hardware, as well as tinkering with the hardware as a hobbyist. It is suggested that only software-level modifications can be safely done, as tampering with the motherboard could result in damage. Designing a modchip for an Xbox 360 or replacing its GPU with a more powerful one is also deemed unlikely due to the complexity of the process. The conversation also mentions the disappointment of a friend who majored in computer engineering with the goal of learning about modding and overclocking, but ultimately realizing that these skills can be learned by a 14-year-old. The conversation ends with the mention of designing integrated circuits, which is considered a much more advanced and complex
Confused
Would I be able to buy current computer hardware and mod the hell out of it? I.e. overclocking through the BIOS, but if that ain't enough would I be able to tweak the hardware to make it run even faster? Without going insane (no liquid nitrogen!)

What other kinds of tinkering can I do with the hardware as a hobbyist? Would I be able to design my own modchip for an Xbox 360? How about replacing my xbox 360's GPU with a more powerful one? (I read the PS3's GPU power is equivalent to a Geforce 7800GTX, not sure about the 360) That would be awesome if I could do that.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You remind of a friend that majored in computer engineering for the sole purposes of learning how to build custom computers and overclocking his machine. Poor sap didn't know that this can be done by a 14 year old. He isn't doing well in his course work and is disappointed that there isn't a course called "Modding and Overclocking"

Designing ICs is a entirely different story and is on a Masters level.

Confused said:
Would I be able to buy current computer hardware and mod the hell out of it? I.e. overclocking through the BIOS, but if that ain't enough would I be able to tweak the hardware to make it run even faster? Without going insane (no liquid nitrogen!)

The only mods you can do is on a software level. Any hand-on tampering with the mother board will most like result in damaging it.

What other kinds of tinkering can I do with the hardware as a hobbyist? Would I be able to design my own modchip for an Xbox 360? How about replacing my xbox 360's GPU with a more powerful one? (I read the PS3's GPU power is equivalent to a Geforce 7800GTX, not sure about the 360) That would be awesome if I could do that.

No way. There are teams of dozens of engineers that design microprocessors. Even more, build prototypes and test them.

Last edited:

1. What kind of job opportunities are available with an EE degree?

EE graduates have a wide range of job opportunities, including roles in electronics, telecommunications, power, software development, and many other industries. Some common job titles include electrical engineer, electronics engineer, systems engineer, and software engineer.

2. Can I work in a different field with an EE degree?

Yes, an EE degree provides a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical skills that are applicable in many other fields. Some common areas where EE graduates may work include finance, consulting, and management.

3. What kind of salary can I expect with an EE degree?

The salary for EE graduates varies depending on job role, experience, and location. However, EE is a highly sought-after field and graduates can expect competitive salaries with room for growth and advancement.

4. Is there a demand for EE graduates in the job market?

Yes, there is a high demand for EE graduates in the job market, especially as technology continues to advance and industries rely more on electronic systems. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 5% growth in employment for electrical and electronics engineers from 2019 to 2029.

5. What kind of skills will I gain with an EE degree?

An EE degree provides a strong foundation in math, physics, and circuit analysis, as well as technical skills in designing, testing, and troubleshooting electronic systems. Graduates also develop skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and project management, which are valuable in any career.