Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of internet connection do you have?

1. Dec 30, 2005 #1
    I have been using 4 Mbps high speed for about 6 months now and have been pretty happy with it. Just the other day my internet service provider started offering 9 Mbps for 15 extra dollars per month. Do you think that this increase in speed is worth an extra 15 dollars? Do you really think that I would notice a difference if I did get the faster speed?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2005 #2
    what do you do with your connection?
    if its just browsing the internet, then even 1Mbps would be more then enough... for filesharing the more bandwidth you got the better off you are, though id save my money and just be a little more patient...

4. Dec 30, 2005 #3
    Be a little more patient for what?

5. Dec 30, 2005 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My ISP upgraded from 4 Mbps to 8 Mbps about a year ago, and in single PC browsing use the difference isn't all that big and at first hardly noticed (well, still noticeable, and sure VPNs, downloads etc. 'hogs' can use the extra - there it is does come handy). Since got 3 computers at home the difference when using 2-3 at the same time is clear.

6. Dec 30, 2005 #5
    for my files to download...

7. Dec 30, 2005 #6
    very funny.

8. Jan 3, 2006 #7
    6MB down 512 up

9. Jan 3, 2006 #8
    When will we have Gigabit*s^-1 speeds?

10. Jan 3, 2006 #9
    Is that Gig * s (to the power) -1?

If you mean Gig speeds.. we already do, but its too expensive for a consumer..

http://www.level3.com/673.html

we have OC3 at my work..

11. Jan 4, 2006 #10
    Yes, sorry. I meant Gig / second, I just thought the way I wrote it looked cooler. What speed is T1 and T3?

12. Jan 4, 2006 #11
    Oh, I found it. T1 is 1.544 Mbit/s, and T3 is 34.368 Mbit/s. Wow, t1 and t3 are outdated. I did not know that.

13. Jan 4, 2006 #12
    That OC3 looks very fast. I am going to get it in my apartment. Do you think it costs more than my high speed through my cable company? :biggrin:

14. Jan 4, 2006 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

A T3 (DS3) is approximately 45 megabits per second (44.736). T1s and T3s are the most common speeds for data and internet and are not outdated.

OC3 (155 mbps) and above is growing in popularity for businesses as prices decrease and availability increases. I'm doing one for a client right now.

15. Jan 4, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

T1 and T3 are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more reliable then consumer internet connections

16. Jan 4, 2006 #15

Evo

Yes, you're correct, I'm impressed! :approve:

17. Jan 4, 2006 #16
    I would argue that they are becoming obselete, for teleco no, but as a last mile technology I would say so.. In Europe at least

18. Jan 4, 2006 #17

Evo

Not in the US, here they are growing in number, not declining. More smaller businesses that could not previously afford T1 & T3 are moving up to them and disconnecting DSL and cable as it is not as reliable.

What are businesses in Europe replacing them with?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  19. Jan 4, 2006 #18
    For Internet, SHDSL and other SDSL forms.. xDSL here is very stable.. and is used by a lot of small to medium size buisness.
    The bigger Buisness are using MPLS on there backbones and consolidating Voice, Video and Data using MPLS as the carrier between Hub and Spoke Sites. In fact so are most teleco companies, soon Mobile phones here will have IP addresses.. :-D I cant wait!

As far as I can see most large buisness are using SONET protocols at the data link and physical layers, not ISDN.. That is the Trend here, people are moving of ISDN protocols onto Optical and Home users are using DSL

20. Jan 4, 2006 #19
    I have Verizon DSL that runs at T1 speed, 1.5 mbps. Comcast High-Speed Internet is the most popular around here, offering 3 mbps. Although I am happy with my connection, any OC line would be nice.

If you like OC3 (155 mbps), take a look at OC12. It runs at 622 mbps!

21. Jan 4, 2006 #20
    So when will we be using tera-bit per second speeds?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?