Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of tensor is the electromagnetic field tensor?

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    The covariant form of the Lorentz force can be written as

[tex]m \ddot x^\mu =q F^{\mu \nu} \dot x_\nu [/tex]

and such a relation should prove by the quotient rule that F is indeed a tensor.
    But what kind of tensor is it? One can show that it transforms from an unprimed
    to a primed system like

[tex] F'^{\mu \nu} = \Lambda^\mu_{\ \alpha} \Lambda^{\ \nu}_{\beta} F^{\alpha \beta} = \frac{\partial x'^\mu}{\partial x^\alpha} \frac{\partial x^\nu}{\partial x'^\beta} F^{\alpha \beta}[/tex],

where [tex]\Lambda^{\ \nu}_{\beta}[/tex] is the inverse Lorentz transformation matrix. But what kind of tensors transforms like this? Does it have a name? I know about covariant, contravariant and mixed tensors. The closest I get is a mixed tensor but it would transform like

[tex] T^\mu_\nu = \frac{\partial x'^\mu}{\partial x^\rho }\frac{\partial x^\sigma}{\partial x'^\nu} T^\rho_\sigma[/tex].

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Mar 14, 2012 #3
    Hi Tim!

But then it should transform like

[tex] F'^{\mu\nu} = \frac{\partial x'^\mu}{\partial x^\alpha} \frac{\partial x'^\nu}{\partial x^\beta} F^{\alpha \beta}[/tex]

and not as

[tex]F'^{\mu \nu} = \frac{\partial x'^\mu}{\partial x^\alpha} \frac{\partial x^\nu}{\partial x'^\beta} F^{\alpha \beta}[/tex]

which arises from the fact that the inverse lorentz transformation gives the equality

[tex] \frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial x'^\nu} = \Lambda_\nu^{\ \ \mu}[/tex]

and that I have shown that

[tex]F'^{\mu \nu} = \Lambda^\mu_{\ \ \alpha} \Lambda^{\ \ \nu}_{\beta} F^{\alpha \beta}[/tex]

from transforming the lorentz force law in covariant form.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  5. Mar 14, 2012 #4
    Maybe there is a flaw in my proof? It goes as follows: Ignoring the constants m and q

[tex] \ddot x'^\mu = F'^{\mu \nu} \dot x'_\nu =\Lambda^\mu_{\ \alpha} (\dot x^\alpha) = \Lambda^\mu_{\ \alpha} (F^{\alpha \beta} \dot x_{\beta}) = \Lambda^\mu_{\ \alpha} F^{\alpha \beta} \Lambda_\beta^{\ \ \nu} \dot x'_\nu [/tex],
    from which it should follow that

[tex]F'^{\mu \nu} = \Lambda^\mu_{\ \alpha} \Lambda_\beta^{\ \ \nu}
    F^{\alpha \beta} = \frac{\partial x'^\mu}{\partial x^\alpha} \frac{\partial x^\nu}{\partial x'^\beta} F^{\alpha \beta}[/tex].

Here I have used the lorentz transformation and the inverse transformation
    [tex] x'^\mu = \Lambda^\mu_{\ \ \nu} x^\nu[/tex]

[tex] x'_\mu = \Lambda_\mu^{\ \ \nu} x_\nu[/tex]

from which it follows that

[tex]\frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial x'^\nu} = \Lambda_\nu^{\ \ \mu}[/tex]
    and

[tex]\frac{\partial x'^\mu}{\partial x^\nu} = \Lambda^\nu_{\ \ \mu}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook