What kind of thermos do you have?

• Thread starter mieral
  • Start date
In summary: Pb in the solution approaches the solubility limit".[28]Lead can leach into the food and beverages contained.
mieral
Thermo is a container to contain hot water used at home. What is the other term for it? Do yours have plastic inside or glass? I'm just worried the plastic chemicals may be released from the boiling water. Note this is not room temperature water. What is the safest thermo.. isn't the plastic based carcinogenic or can cause health problems? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
mieral said:
Do yours have plastic inside or glass?

Haha, glass. Remember those? Do they still make those? I think I had a Batman thermos when I was in grade school in the 1970's. Kids used to drop them all the time and the glass inside would break. I would always shake mine a little before I poured a drink to listen for the rustling of broken glass inside...

lunchbox-1966-batman.png

These days I use a ceramic-lined mug (bubba). Works great. Even better than stainless steel which can impart a little metallic taste. I would stay away from plastic even if it does say BPA free. Ceramic is about as safe as it gets and it keeps the coffee hot hours longer than the plastic travelmugs. It's a little more expensive, mine was $25, but it's well worth it just in the coffee you don't throw out because it gets cold..

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bubba-reg-tasteguard-trade-travel-mug/3259731?skuId=43104192&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_dining_&product_id=43104192&adpos=1o2&creative=43742634949&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CKrl9KPayNICFY6Iswod1cEBZQ

That's brilliant.. do other guys here also use ceramic boiling water container or plastic?

But I'm looking for 40 oz boiling water container for use in home. You know.. where it holds boiling water for the entire family.

But about the term vacuum flash. It's not really vacuum.. is it? why is it called vacuum?

jedishrfu said:

I have something similar to it.. but notice the mouth where the water flows is still made of plastic.. not ceramic.. I'm looking for one to simply store hot water in house that doesn't require this ability to boil it.. what do you guys use? don't you use simple hot water container at home?

Last edited by a moderator:
mieral said:
But about the term vacuum flash. It's not really vacuum.. is it? why is it called vacuum?
That would be vacuum flask. It's called a vacuum flask because inside the outer shell of the flask, the flask itself is double-walled. When the flask is manufactured, air is evacuated from the space between the inner and flask, and then the opening between the inner and outer wall of the flask is sealed. Another name is Dewar flask, in honor of a Scottish scientist of that name. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_flask

Here's a drawing of the cross-section of a vacuum flask. The outer shell is not shown.
289px-Vacuum_Dewar_Flask.svg[1].png

256bits said:
Nope.
A kettle with new water that does not stand around all day.

Ceramics can leach metals, depending what is in it and what temperature, and type of ceramic.
A study from New Zealand, for example,
http://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/handle/10289/8502

What do you mean ceramics can leach metals.. where will the metals come from? I'm talking of this ceramic jar someone shared earlier whose kinds plan to get but want to get this leeching thing clarified first. thanks. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bubba-reg-tasteguard-trade-travel-mug/3259731?skuId=43104192&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_dining_&product_id=43104192&adpos=1o2&creative=43742634949&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CKrl9KPayNICFY6Iswod1cEBZQ

mieral said:
What do you mean ceramics can leach metals.. where will the metals come from? I'm talking of this ceramic jar someone shared earlier whose kinds plan to get but want to get this leeching thing clarified first. thanks. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bubba-reg-tasteguard-trade-travel-mug/3259731?skuId=43104192&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_dining_&product_id=43104192&adpos=1o2&creative=43742634949&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CKrl9KPayNICFY6Iswod1cEBZQ
You can do a search of leaching from ceramics, such as from dinnerware and storage vessels.

The common example is leaching of lead into wine from a decanter made with lead glass.
Items made of lead glass may leach lead into the food and beverages contained.[20][21] In a study performed at North Carolina State University,[22][verification needed] the amount of lead migration was measured for port wine stored in lead crystal decanters. After two days, lead levels were 89 µg/L (micrograms per liter). After four months, lead levels were between 2,000 and 5,000 µg/L. White wine doubled its lead content within an hour of storage and tripled it within four hours. Some brandy stored in lead crystal for over five years had lead levels around 20,000 µg/L.[23][24] To put this into perspective, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's lead standard for drinking water is 15 µg/L = 0.015 parts per million.[25] Citrus juices and other acidic drinks leach lead from crystal as effectively as alcoholic beverages.[26][27] Under conditions of repeated use of the decanter, the lead leaching steeply decreases with increasing use. This finding is "consistent with ceramic chemistry theory, which predicts that leaching of Pb from crystal is self-limiting exponentially as a function of increasing distance from the crystal-liquid interface."[27] Lead leaching still occurs, but the quantity that leaches into a glass of wine or other beverage let stand for a few hours is much smaller than the quantity of lead consumed daily in ordinary diet. An ordinary diet contains about 70 µg of lead per day
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_glass

I do not know the chemical composition of a ceramic lining.

I am pointing out that just because something is not plastic does not mean that it can have other issues of its own.

I have a personalized stainless steel thermos, it is perfect for keeping my hot drink hot for long time. Plastic chemicals increase the risk of cancer and interfere with brain development and fat metabolism.

1. What is the best type of thermos for keeping drinks hot or cold?

The best type of thermos for keeping drinks hot or cold is a vacuum-insulated thermos. This type of thermos has an inner and outer wall with a vacuum layer in between, which helps to minimize heat transfer and keep your drink at the desired temperature for longer periods of time.

2. Can I use a thermos for both hot and cold drinks?

Yes, you can use a thermos for both hot and cold drinks. However, it is important to note that some thermoses are designed specifically for one or the other. For example, a thermos with a wide opening and a wide mouth is better for hot drinks, while a thermos with a narrow opening and a straw is better for cold drinks.

3. How do I clean my thermos?

Cleaning your thermos is easy. First, make sure to empty any remaining liquid from the thermos. Then, add a few drops of dish soap and warm water to the thermos and let it soak for a few minutes. Use a bottle brush or sponge to scrub the inside of the thermos, paying extra attention to any hard-to-reach areas. Rinse thoroughly and let it air dry.

4. Are there any environmentally-friendly thermos options?

Yes, there are many environmentally-friendly thermos options available. Look for thermoses made from sustainable materials such as stainless steel, glass, or bamboo. Also, consider purchasing a thermos with a lifetime warranty, so you can avoid having to replace it frequently.

5. How long can a thermos keep drinks hot or cold?

The length of time a thermos can keep drinks hot or cold varies depending on several factors, including the type of thermos, the temperature of the liquid when it is added, and the surrounding temperature. However, a well-insulated thermos can typically keep drinks hot or cold for 12-24 hours.