Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Machines Are These (Metrology)?

  1. Jul 14, 2010 #1

    Can anyone please tell me what are these machines name?

    Thank you


    [PLAIN]http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1338/35973441.png [Broken]
    [PLAIN]http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7932/50181838.png [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2
    Quality control - for measuring tolerances on finished products I think
  4. Jul 15, 2010 #3

    Ranger Mike

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    the top machine is a cmm,,coordinate measurement machine ..

    measures production parts using touch trigger probe and may be programmed to do this automatically..appears to be Zeiss from Germany.. accuracy to .0002" volumetric
    i have sold these since 1980
    the bottom is an optical comparator used to measure part features in a 2 D manner
    this is a manual model
    these are gage lab instruments used to monitor the quality of production parts ..usually SPC package will alert management if parts are drifting out of tolerance
  5. Jul 16, 2010 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    The bottom is an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_comparator" [Broken]. It's used often times when examining very small parts, as you essentially use optics to "blow" it up.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook