What Makes the New Year So Special?

• Thread starter shounakbhatta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary: Wish you all a great year!In summary,2013 will be an average year. Better than 2014, but worse than 2012.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

Wish you all a very happy new year !

Thanks all for the year long support !

-- Shounak

Physics news on Phys.org
Already New Year in Kiritimati and Christmas Island
Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 6:48 AM

5:48 am in NZ, and 3:48 in E. Australia

1:48 am in Tokyo and Seoul

12:48 am in Taipei and Manila.

Happy New Year folks!

I'll stick with my standard new year prediction:
2013 will be an average year. Better than 2014, but worse than 2012.

I wonder how many 'end of the world' events we will have in 2013. :rolleyes:

Here's to 2013 being better than 2012. Stay safe tonight folks!

2013 will be a great year. Better than 2012, and worse than 2014.

Jimmy Snyder said:
2013 will be a great year. Better than 2012, and worse than 2014.

I like your prediction a lot better than Aleph's!

Let's hope for a better year. Happy New Year!

berkeman said:
I like your prediction a lot better than Aleph's!

But scientific preduction isn't about arguing for which answer you "like best"... :smile:

Cheers everyone!

Happy New Year! May it be one with good opportunities and firm friendships.

Happy New year. I'm not going to stick around for the stroke of midnight, so Happy new year Newfoundland!

Happy new year! :)

Now it's 2013 around the world. This year I'm getting a Facebook account and ready for more action.

happy new yeal for all

hi , Happy new year for all the members

I hope that the new year will be nice one for all of you

Good Luck

Greatings , Maths Lover

Happy New Year everyone!

Щастлива Нова Година

Yeni Yılınız Kutlu Olsun

سنة جديدة سعيدة

新年快乐

:smile:

It already Wednesday in Kiritimati (Wed 2:06 AM) and Auckland and Christchurch, NZ and Suva, Fiji (Wed 1:06 AM).

I went out briefly to the pub tonight, just to be sure I that voiced my spite for the new year. <Pumping fists up at the sky for no apparent reason.>

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
I went out briefly to the pub tonight, just to be sure that I voiced my spite for the new year. <Pumping fists up at the sky for no apparent reason.>
I suppose should qualify that: it has nothing to do with all that 2012 end-of-world nonsense. This is just something I do every year.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
But scientific preduction isn't about arguing for which answer you "like best"... :smile:
Good point. Let's look at the data. 2012 was better than 2011, 2011 was better than 2010. As I look back, I see a pattern. In fact the day I was born was the worst day of my life, so I predict that the day I die will be the best.

Astronuc said:
Щастлива Нова Година

Yeni Yılınız Kutlu Olsun

سنة جديدة سعيدة

新年快乐

:smile:

سنه جديده سعيده علينا و عليك :) تمنياتى بان تكون هذه السنه افضل من السنه المنصرمه :))

it's nice from you to say happy new year in diffrent language specilally arabic :)
I wrote : " happy new year , I hope that the new year will be better than the last one "
in arabic

Happy New Year All!

What makes the new year so special?

The new year is often seen as a fresh start, a time to reflect on the past year and set goals for the future. It is also a time for celebration and togetherness with friends and family.

Why do people make resolutions for the new year?

Making resolutions for the new year is a common tradition because it allows people to set goals and make positive changes in their lives. It can also provide a sense of motivation and purpose for the upcoming year.

What is the significance of the date January 1st for the new year?

January 1st has been celebrated as the start of the new year for centuries. It was chosen because it marks the beginning of the Roman calendar and is associated with the god Janus, who is often depicted with two faces, one looking to the past and one looking to the future.

Are there any cultural or religious traditions associated with the new year?

There are many different cultural and religious traditions associated with the new year. Some examples include the Chinese New Year, which is celebrated with dragon dances and fireworks, and the Jewish New Year, which is observed with prayer and reflection.

How is the new year celebrated around the world?

The new year is celebrated in various ways around the world. Some common traditions include fireworks displays, parties and gatherings, and special food and drinks. Many cultures also have unique traditions such as wearing specific colors or performing rituals for good luck in the upcoming year.