Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What materials are safe in a microwave?

1. Jun 1, 2017 #1
    Hi,
    I am carrying out some tests using the laser image transfer method, where the image of a circuit is put on a PCB as an acid resist, so leaving the circuit in copper. My thread PCB by Laser transfer.

My method is a 'sandwich' of two stiff plates app 110x160mm bolted at the edges. PLATE-SILICON SHEET-IMAGE-PCB-IMAGE-SILICON-PLATE. The plates need to compress the silicon enough to give even pressure to the image, and be able to withstand heat up to perhaps 250C.

I am trying different methods of heating, this time I want to test microwaves. I've tried it with plastic and rubber bands, the band snapped and the plastic melted, but it worked. So now I need a better approach. (No metal)
    Any suggestions, for materials for this. Obviously I don't want dangerous fumes.
    Camerart.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2017 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glass? Too hot perhaps. No - just looked it up. 550 Celcius for cheap glass.

4. Jun 1, 2017 #3
    Hi S,
    Glass is a possibility, although for clamping it would be better to have a material that could be drilled. I know Pyrex is oven proof, but I'm not sure about plate glass or house glass/
    C.

5. Jun 1, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glass is drillable if you get the right stuff. Contact a supplier? Tell them your requirements.

6. Jun 1, 2017 #5
    Hi S,
    I had just looking up diamond glass drills, then I got the idea of terracotta tiles.
    Guess what I was cutting yesterday? A/Terracotta tiles. I'll test these out first.
    Thanks, C.

7. Jun 1, 2017 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cheap too!

8. Jun 1, 2017 #7

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait, you're putting metalized board material in your microwave? Bad for the oven on two scores: first, metal in a microwave (no-no), second no absorptive material (empty ovens are also a no-no).

9. Jun 6, 2017 #8
    Hi M,
    Ok, that answers my question, thanks.
    Microwave idea gone!
    C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted