Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A What math do I need to know to understand General Relativity

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    I'm a 16 year old whose summer goal is two understand general relativity, but I'm lost on what math to have to understand it, I understand topological spaces and a topological manifold. but then it becomes more complicated math, and I know I simply don't understand because of the mathematics.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, ask on PF and hopefully you shall be assisted....
    Preferably specific questions: we can't cough up all kinds of general teaching material; that's what others are for.

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3
    So that wasn't a suitable enough question?

5. Mar 31, 2016 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Differential geometry and anything prerequisite are necessary.

6. Mar 31, 2016 #5
    If you could ever be so kind to let me know what are those prerequisites are. It would be very helpful.

7. Mar 31, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There was no question in this thread, so I assume you are referring to another thread ?
    There are sites that explain special relativity in as simple as possible terms.

8. Mar 31, 2016 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Calculus and its prerequisites (most high school math).

9. Mar 31, 2016 #8
    So linear algebra and differential equations have no need for general relativity?

10. Mar 31, 2016 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, but special relativity helps....

11. Mar 31, 2016 #10
    Exploring Black Holes by Wheeler/Taylor is probably the most elementary GR book there is, requiring just calculus and linear algebra. I highly recommend the book Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip Thorne to go along with it.

12. Mar 31, 2016 #11
    I have read most of Kip Thorne, I also agree

13. Mar 31, 2016 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please tell us in detail what math and physics you know well.

14. Mar 31, 2016 #13
    I know Newtonian well, my special relativity iffy, multivariable calculus, some differential equation as in anything first order but can learn more, and currently working on linear algebra and matrix theory. Topological spaces, manifolds. Dabble in abstract algebra( lost intrest after congruency chapter with mod's)

15. Mar 31, 2016 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If I asked you why all singletons in a Hausdorff space are closed, would you be able to answer me?

How deep do you want to go into the math behind GR? Enough to understand most physics books? Enough to understand Wald and Malament? Enough to understand all the math behind it very rigorously?

16. Mar 31, 2016 #15
    Yes! Wald is what I would like to understand for now. I am bored with no more physics available for me to take at my school. Just want to move forward, and general relativity is my next stop on the physics side, but I know my math needs to catch up

17. Mar 31, 2016 #16
    So, how do you prove that singletons are closed in a Hausdorff space?

18. Mar 31, 2016 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Also, can you explain us why people care about the Hausdorff property? Can you explain why we care about compactness? Why do we let manifolds be second countable?

Sorry, but I want to gauge your topology knowledge.

19. Apr 1, 2016 #18
    Oh my fault... I meant yes as in the sense yes for understand wald.... I don't know any of that stuff... Topology I know is the very basics like charting ithe original into a image by taking open subsets of the original and lowering the dimension... Practically the first few pages of wald's book I understand.

20. Apr 1, 2016 #19
    So I know relatively close to nothing on topology... Just the very basic... From a set of videos part of a general relativity course on YouTube by something winter school. I can post the link if you'd like.. I know I sound like some ignorant kid messing with something out of his reach, but I insure you I can do it if I'm guided to what I need to know.. I am at the full mercy of all you highly credible geniuses. Thank you

21. Apr 1, 2016 #20

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, the good news is that there are definitely some GR books that you can go through right now, such as Schutz. The bad news that Wald will definitely have to wait for some time until you brush up on your topology and differential geometry. Whethe you are willing to make this investment is up to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted