What multiplicative factor does speed and wavelength change by?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between frequency, tension, speed, and wavelength in a wave on a string. The equation v = √(F/μ) is mentioned, where v is the speed, F is the tension, and μ is the mass per unit length of the string. It is noted that increasing tension shortens the wavelength, but the effects of frequency on these quantities are not clear. A simulation is suggested to further explore this relationship, where adjusting the frequency and tension can be seen to affect the speed and wavelength of the wave.
Emmanuel0
Consider a wave on a string with constant tension. If the frequency of the wave is doubled, by what multiplicative factor does a) the speed and b) the wavelength change?

I don't really know how to begin to answer this question. The best i could think of is using
v=wavelenght x f and then putting a square route on the f (frequency) and solving for wavelenght and i guess v (speed of the wave) from there.

If anyone know where i can find more problems like this (aside from my textbook) let me know as i am really struggling with this and i want to get a better understanding of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What other equations do you have that apply to a wave on a string?

vela said:
What other equations do you have that apply to a wave on a string?

v= square root(F/U)

Good, so that's where F is the tension in the string and [itex]\mu[/itex] is its mass per unit length. How do the wavelength and frequency affect those quantities, if at all?

vela said:
Good, so that's where F is the tension in the string and [itex]\mu[/itex] is its mass per unit length. How do the wavelength and frequency affect those quantities, if at all?
I am not sure, increasing tension shortens wavelength.

You might find it useful to play around with this simulation.

http://phet.colorado.edu/sims/wave-on-a-string/wave-on-a-string_en.html

Set the damping to 0 and the end of the string to "no end." Then set the left end oscillate. You can adjust the frequency and tension in the string and see what happens.

I would suggest first leaving the frequency fixed and playing around with the tension. See what happens to the speed and wavelength of the wave.

Then try the opposite. Leave the tension fixed and vary the frequency. What happens to the speed and wavelength of the wave?

1. What is the relationship between speed and wavelength?

The speed and wavelength of a wave are inversely proportional - as one increases, the other decreases. This relationship is described by the equation: speed = frequency x wavelength.

2. How does the speed of a wave change when the wavelength changes?

If the wavelength of a wave increases, its speed will decrease. Similarly, if the wavelength decreases, the speed will increase. This is because the frequency of the wave remains constant.

3. What is the multiplicative factor for speed and wavelength?

The multiplicative factor for speed and wavelength is the frequency of the wave. This factor is constant and does not change as the speed and wavelength vary.

4. Does the medium affect the multiplicative factor for speed and wavelength?

Yes, the medium through which a wave travels can affect the multiplicative factor for speed and wavelength. For example, the speed of sound waves in air is different from the speed of sound waves in water, so the multiplicative factor for speed and wavelength will also be different in each medium.

5. Can the multiplicative factor for speed and wavelength be greater than 1?

No, the multiplicative factor for speed and wavelength is always equal to or less than 1. This is because as the wavelength increases, the speed decreases, and vice versa, so the product of the two will always be equal to the frequency of the wave.