What must be present for the propagation of a mechanical wave?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
princess08
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
What must be present for the propagation of a mechanical wave?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
princess08 said:
What must be present for the propagation of a mechanical wave?
Welcome to PF,

What do you think must be present?
 
What must be present for the propagation of a mechanical wave?
 
princess08 said:
I have no idea... Movement?
Hmm, not really what I had in mind. Can you give some examples of a mechanical wave?

P.S. You could have your answer in under five seconds from Google.
 
Movement?
Hootenanny said:
Welcome to PF,

What do you think must be present?
 
sound, earthquake, water waves... it is vibration?
Hootenanny said:
Hmm, not really what I had in mind. Can you give some examples of a mechanical wave?

P.S. You could have your answer in under five seconds from Google.
 
princess08 said:
sound, earthquake, water waves... it is vibration?
Correct! Can you now give me examples of non-mechanical waves?
 
I also read about a medium.
princess08 said:
sound, earthquake, water waves... is it vibration?
 
princess08 said:
I also read about a medium.
That's the answer :smile: Mechanical waves require a medium through which to be transmitted, whereas non-mechanical waves require no medium.