What on earth does this statement even mean?

In summary, the statement is saying that if f is a mapping from R2 to R and for any fixed x, the function f(x,y) is continuous, and if the partial derivative of f with respect to y exists and is continuous, then f is continuous. The notation may be confusing, but essentially, the statement is stating that if certain conditions are met, then f is a continuous function.
Demon117

Homework Statement

Suppose that f : R2 |--> R and that each “slice” x l--> f(x, y), y in R, is
continuous. If df/dy (partial) exists (everywhere) and is continuous, show that f is continuous.

I don't quite understand the notation here, a little help on this will be useful. I could probably come up with what I need beyond that. I only need help defining what the first statement is saying.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure its just asking you to show that if partial derivative exists for all y and is continuous then f is continuous.

Skrew said:
I'm pretty sure its just asking you to show that if partial derivative exists for all y and is continuous then f is continuous.

Not exactly what I was asking. I was actually referring to the statement:
Suppose that f : R2 |--> R and that each “slice” x l--> f(x, y), y in R, is
continuous.

The way I understand this is that for a fixed x, f(x,y) is continuous. So basically "f(y)" is continuous.

i think it's the same: f is a mapping from R2 into R. for any fixed y, the function f(x,y) is continuous. (i think).

yes …

the question would be clearer if it said "the function fy: R -> R defined by fy(x) = f(x,y) is continuous" :wink:

What does it mean when someone says "What on earth does this statement even mean?"

This statement is often used when someone is confused or struggling to understand the meaning of a particular statement or idea. It can also be used to express frustration or disbelief about the complexity or obscurity of the statement.

Why do people use this phrase?

This phrase is used to express confusion, frustration, or disbelief about the meaning of a statement. It can also be used to express a desire for clarification or further explanation.

Is there a specific context in which this phrase is commonly used?

This phrase is often used in informal conversations or discussions when someone is struggling to understand a statement or idea. It can also be used in more formal settings to express confusion about a complex or obscure concept.

What are some possible interpretations of this phrase?

Some possible interpretations of this phrase include: "I do not understand this statement," "This statement is confusing or unclear," or "I am struggling to make sense of this statement."

Can this phrase be considered rude or disrespectful?

This phrase can be considered rude or disrespectful if used in a confrontational or dismissive manner. However, it can also be used as an expression of genuine confusion or frustration without any ill intent.