What percentage of you are employed/unemployed

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
In summary, the posters on Physics Forums were asked to share their employment status, with a focus on those with a STEM degree. The reasons for asking varied from curiosity to understanding the job market for STEM graduates. Some posters clarified their employment and student status, while others mentioned that the type of degree may not necessarily determine job opportunities. One poster who did not have a STEM degree also shared their employment status and advised evaluating advice based on the person's experience and relevance to one's own situation.

What is your employment status?

• Employed, full-time

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Employed, part-time

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Self-employed

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Unemployed, searching for work

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Unemployed, given up searching

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Current student

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Retired

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. I was curious to find out what the employment status of the posters here on Physics Forums and have attached a poll to go along with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
StatGuy2000 said:
Hi everyone. I was curious to find out what the employment status of the posters here on Physics Forums and have attached a poll to go along with this.

I voted (first option), but I have to ask: why are you asking?

I'm employed part time and a current student. I put employed part time since my job is more important to me than school at the moment.

Curious3141 said:
I voted (first option), but I have to ask: why are you asking?

Partly to satisfy my curiosity about those who post in the Career Guidance section of Physics Forums. Partly because I'm curious about how difficult it is for those who graduate with a STEM degree (physics in particular) to find employment (any kind of employment, not just in a STEM field).

StatGuy2000 said:
Partly because I'm curious about how difficult it is for those who graduate with a STEM degree (physics in particular) to find employment (any kind of employment, not just in a STEM field).

It shouldn't be any harder than somebody without a STEM degree because the degree holder always has the option of leaving the degree off of their resume.

Full time employed/full time student.

StatGuy2000 said:
Partly to satisfy my curiosity about those who post in the Career Guidance section of Physics Forums. Partly because I'm curious about how difficult it is for those who graduate with a STEM degree (physics in particular) to find employment (any kind of employment, not just in a STEM field).

Oh, OK. Perhaps you should've made it clear that the poll is restricted to those with a STEM degree. I don't have a STEM degree. Didn't even know what a STEM degree was till I looked it up (but I guessed that it must be Science, Tech, Engg, Math). Feel free to ignore 1 vote from the "full time employed" category.

Evaluate the advice you receive based upon the experience of the person giving it, and whether it seems reasonably consistent with your situation. The fact that I'm employed full time doesn't mean much.

Full Time Employee & Full Time Student

What percentage of the population is employed?

The percentage of the population that is employed varies by country and can also change over time. According to the World Bank, the global employment rate was 57.8% in 2020. However, this number can be affected by factors such as population growth, economic fluctuations, and the types of jobs available.

What percentage of people are unemployed?

The unemployment rate is the percentage of the labor force that is currently without a job. This number can also vary by country and over time. According to the International Labour Organization, the global unemployment rate was 5.4% in 2020. However, this number can be affected by factors such as the availability of jobs, education levels, and the structure of the economy.

What is the difference between employment and unemployment?

Employment refers to having a job or being engaged in economic activity, while unemployment refers to not having a job but actively seeking employment. The labor force includes both employed and unemployed individuals, while those who are not in the labor force are not actively seeking employment, such as students, retirees, or homemakers.

How does the unemployment rate affect the economy?

The unemployment rate is one of the key indicators of the health of an economy. A high unemployment rate can indicate a weak economy, as it means there are fewer people contributing to the production of goods and services. This can lead to lower consumer spending, which can further impact economic growth. On the other hand, a low unemployment rate can indicate a strong economy, as it means there are more people working and contributing to economic growth.

How is employment and unemployment measured?

The employment and unemployment rates are typically measured through surveys and statistical data. In many countries, the labor force survey is used to collect data on employment and unemployment. This survey asks individuals about their employment status, whether they are actively seeking employment, and their demographic information. The data is then used to calculate the employment and unemployment rates.