1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What percentage of you are employed/unemployed

What is your employment status?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2014.
  1. Employed, full-time

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Employed, part-time

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. Self-employed

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Unemployed, searching for work

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Unemployed, given up searching

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Current student

23 vote(s)
    37.7%
  7. Retired

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Feb 11, 2014 #1

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Hi everyone. I was curious to find out what the employment status of the posters here on Physics Forums and have attached a poll to go along with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2014 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I voted (first option), but I have to ask: why are you asking?

4. Feb 11, 2014 #3
    I'm employed part time and a current student. I put employed part time since my job is more important to me than school at the moment.

5. Feb 11, 2014 #4

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Partly to satisfy my curiosity about those who post in the Career Guidance section of Physics Forums. Partly because I'm curious about how difficult it is for those who graduate with a STEM degree (physics in particular) to find employment (any kind of employment, not just in a STEM field).

6. Feb 11, 2014 #5
    It shouldn't be any harder than somebody without a STEM degree because the degree holder always has the option of leaving the degree off of their resume.

7. Feb 11, 2014 #6
    Full time employed/full time student.

8. Feb 12, 2014 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Oh, OK. Perhaps you should've made it clear that the poll is restricted to those with a STEM degree. I don't have a STEM degree. Didn't even know what a STEM degree was till I looked it up (but I guessed that it must be Science, Tech, Engg, Math). Feel free to ignore 1 vote from the "full time employed" category.

9. Feb 12, 2014 #8
    Evaluate the advice you receive based upon the experience of the person giving it, and whether it seems reasonably consistent with your situation. The fact that I'm employed full time doesn't mean much.

10. Feb 12, 2014 #9
    Full Time Employee & Full Time Student

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook