What (physically) to do in a falling elevator?

In summary, the chances of surviving an elevator fall are slim, but there are some things one can do to increase their chances. These include laying on the floor with hands under the head, finding padding to lie on, or holding onto something overhead. However, these methods may still result in severe injuries. Another option is to press the emergency brake button, but this may not always be effective. The only recorded case of a free-falling elevator resulted in severe injuries for the passenger.
no_audio
I understand that surviving an elevator fall is unlikely, but physically speaking, what is one supposed to do to maximize one's chances of survival? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you are talking about something like jump up right before it hits the ground. This will transfer some kinetic energy to the elevator which will thus suffer slightly more damage.

Maybe it is more sensible to find some padding to lie on and place yourself in a position such that not too many organs rip (so it's rather about human anatomy).

Alternatively you may try James Bond style espace procedures.

Yeah, there's not much you can do except to lay flat on the floor(to spread out the impact force) with your hands underneath your head, and pray.

Jumping will do little.

An alternative might be to hold onto something overhead(feet off the ground)
Upon inpact, your fingers will be ripped from what your holding, your shoulders will probably be severely dislocated, and you will probably break both legs.
But hey, you might survive!

press the emergency break button...

The only recorded case of an elevator simply free-falling to the ground, was when a B-25 bomber flew into the Empire State Building and severed the cables.

The elevator fell down 75 stories. And, I guess the chick inside survived...although barely. I'm not sure if she jumped before it hit the ground or what.

1. What should I do if I am in a falling elevator?

If you are in a falling elevator, the first thing you should do is stay calm. Panicking can cloud your judgement and make the situation worse.

Next, you should try to protect your head and neck by crouching down and covering your head with your arms. This can help minimize the impact if the elevator hits the ground.

Finally, you should try to hit the emergency button or call for help using the elevator's intercom system.

2. Is it true that jumping right before the elevator hits the ground can save you?

No, this is a myth. Jumping in a falling elevator will not save you. In fact, it can actually make the impact more severe by adding to your downward momentum.

The best thing to do in a falling elevator is to crouch down and protect your head and neck.

3. Can I open the doors and try to escape if the elevator is falling?

No, it is not safe to try to open the doors of a falling elevator. The elevator's safety mechanisms are designed to prevent the doors from opening during a fall to protect passengers inside.

Trying to escape from a falling elevator can also be dangerous and should only be attempted as a last resort if all other options have been exhausted.

4. How long does it take for an elevator to fall to the ground?

The time it takes for an elevator to fall to the ground depends on several factors, such as the height of the building, the weight of the elevator, and the speed at which it is falling.

On average, an elevator can fall at a rate of 500 feet per minute. So, for a 10-story building, it would take approximately 10 seconds for the elevator to fall to the ground.

5. Can I survive a falling elevator?

Surviving a falling elevator is possible, but it depends on various factors such as the speed of the fall, the height of the building, and the safety features of the elevator.

If the elevator is equipped with safety mechanisms such as brakes and shock absorbers, it can greatly increase the chances of survival. It is also important to follow safety protocols and try to protect your head and neck during the fall.