1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Physics C textbook is easiest to self-study?

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1

I am a student interested in learning AP Physics C material on my own because the class is not offered at my school.

My goals are
    - 5 on the AP Physics C exam(s)
    - Know calculus-based physics to compete in Science Olympiad

I have taken the Physics B exam and Calc AB/BC exams (5 on all of them), and I'm also taking Calculus 3 from a nearby college.

I would think a textbook on calculus based physics would be the best way to learn it. What would you recommend?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2
    I don't think you can ever go wrong with Halliday & Resnick.
  4. Oct 6, 2007 #3
    That's the book my physics teacher gave me to use when I asked him if I could try for physics C, and he knows his stuff.
  5. Oct 6, 2007 #4
    It really is a good book, although quite expensive. But, it may be possible to find an older version for less. Also, Serway (Physics for Scientists & Engineers) seems pretty nice too.
  6. Oct 6, 2007 #5
    Yah, he said that for the school to order it that it'd be about $140 - $150
  7. Oct 6, 2007 #6
    I think what irks me most about the prices of basic physics textbooks is that the fundamentals do not really change very often. For example, there was a new version of H&R this year, but the last one just came out in 2004. I suppose the obvious thing is that textbook publishers and authors want more money. At my school (probably the same at most), H&R is used for the first three fundamental physics courses. I feel sorry for the people that are taking Physics 2 or 3 this semester and had to buy a new version of the same book.
  8. Oct 6, 2007 #7
    Oi! That's bloody cheap! I don't have the money to go out and buy new books for recreational studying. Hmm... I guess a good stratagy would be to look a few versions of the book back and buy that one :p
  9. Nov 25, 2009 #8
    You can get some pretty cheap deals with used books at amazon. And most of them come just like new.
  10. Nov 26, 2009 #9
    Halliday / Resnick Fundamentals of Physics comes about $40-$50 on Amazon through independent sellers. Brand new.
  11. Nov 26, 2009 #10

Staff: Mentor

If you're self-studying, you don't have to have the latest version of a textbook, unless you know you're going to need it for a course later. The H&R that I used as a college freshman in 1971 has pretty much the same physics as the current edition. :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?