What power rating do UV-A Tubes have? (tanning salons)

• I
  • Thread starter Arceus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uv
Arceus
good morning gentlemen I ask you a very simple question, do you remember solariums for tanning? they use tubes that emit uv rays A, what power (watts) does each single tube have? 10 Watts each?
images.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A quick look at Amazon for replacement uv bulbs shows most of them are 100W bulbs, though I'm sure you could find a wide range if you do a more in-depth search.

• Informative
Likes Vanadium 50, russ_watters, Arceus and 1 other person
Drakkith said:
A quick look at Amazon for replacement uv bulbs shows most of them are 100W bulbs, though I'm sure you could find a wide range if you do a more in-depth search.
thanks for the answer, yes or 100 watts, because I had seen bulbs 25 cm long and with a power of 10-15 watts. now I want to know how to light one of these bulbs, i.e. what materials should I buy? lamp holder, starter like neon? you tell me

Arceus said:
thanks for the answer, yes or 100 watts, because I had seen bulbs 25 cm long and with a power of 10-15 watts. now I want to know how to light one of these bulbs, i.e. what materials should I buy? lamp holder, starter like neon? you tell me
Whatcha' going to do with this UV contraption? Got whole lot of these to erase?
1691706530983.png

https://www.jameco.com/z/AM27C64-25...LKlkls3oi0Qx3UOqGtSyaBCZdB8CSLyIaAopMEALw_wcB

• Haha
Likes phinds and Arceus
Arceus said:
However you want. What is the intended application?

Likes Arceus
Drakkith said:
However you want. What is the intended application?
hello, I would like to have an insect trap, but those on sale that use uv rays (which are the best traps) cost a lot, that's why I want to build a trap myself, I only need 1-2 100 watt uvA tubes and all the electrical accessories to make it turn on, only this nothing exceptional

That I can't help you with. It goes beyond my area of expertise.

Arceus said:
hello, I would like to have an insect trap, but those on sale that use uv rays (which are the best traps) cost a lot, that's why I want to build a trap myself, I only need 1-2 100 watt uvA tubes and all the electrical accessories to make it turn on, only this nothing exceptional
What kind of insect trap? It only uses UV light to trap flying insects somehow? Or do you intend on using the UV light to attract them, and then a High Voltage (HV) grid to vaporize them? I have the latter type of flying insect trap, which uses about a 40W UV bulb as the attractant, and HV to zap them. I think it cost $30 from Amazon...

Likes Arceus
berkeman said:
What kind of insect trap? It only uses UV light to trap flying insects somehow? Or do you intend on using the UV light to attract them, and then a High Voltage (HV) grid to vaporize them? I have the latter type of flying insect trap, which uses about a 40W UV bulb as the attractant, and HV to zap them. I think it cost $30 from Amazon...
yes ok, the traps for sale cost a lot, and therefore I would like to build one myself. for the electrified grid there is no problem, as soon as they rest on the tube I catch them and kill them. i just want to build the system to light the tube, 40 Watt tubes are fine, i need two, could you give me some links? and that they are uvA because they are less dangerous. and then the fact of how to turn them on, do you need the starter and the reactor like neon tubes?

Arceus said:
yes ok, the traps for sale cost a lot, and therefore I would like to build one myself.
No they don't cost a lot. Here is the one I bought, it looks like it's now $40. That is not expensive.

1692054788903.png
Arceus said:
i just want to build the system to light the tube, 40 Watt tubes are fine, i need two, could you give me some links? and that they are uvA because they are less dangerous. and then the fact of how to turn them on, do you need the starter and the reactor like neon tubes?
You need experience with AC Mains projects and the associated safety rules to do this project, and you need to know how to interface with a ballast. You will spend at least as much money if not more than just buying a pre-built unit, and you will expose yourself to AC Mains hazards (shock, fire). This thread is now closed.

Last edited:
Likes davenn and Bystander

1. What is the power rating of UV-A tubes typically used in tanning salons?

The power rating of UV-A tubes used in tanning salons can vary, but they typically range from 100 to 200 watts.

2. How does the power rating of UV-A tubes affect the tanning process?

The power rating of UV-A tubes directly affects the intensity of the UV-A light emitted. Higher wattage tubes will produce a stronger and faster tanning effect.

3. Are there any safety concerns with higher power rated UV-A tubes?

Yes, higher power rated UV-A tubes can increase the risk of sunburn and skin damage if not used properly. It is important to follow the recommended exposure times and use protective eyewear.

4. Can the power rating of UV-A tubes be adjusted?

Yes, the power rating of UV-A tubes can be adjusted by using different wattage tubes or by adjusting the voltage supplied to the tubes. However, this should only be done by a trained professional to ensure safety and proper use.

5. What is the average lifespan of UV-A tubes in tanning salons?

The average lifespan of UV-A tubes used in tanning salons is around 500-1000 hours, but this can vary depending on usage and maintenance. It is recommended to replace the tubes every 6-12 months to maintain their effectiveness.