Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What preliminary knowledge of QM should I know before learning QFT

1. Aug 9, 2009 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

What preliminary knowledge of QM should I know before learning QFT, or should I learn QFT in parallel with me learning QM?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Qm=>qft

It's best to have a very thorough knowledge of QM before attempting a study of QFT, otherwise you will find QFT books incomprehensible. If you just can't wait, I suggest reading Feynman's popular book on QED, or Zee's QFT textbook after you learn a bit of QM.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. Aug 9, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should at least know the stuff in Isham's book. In my opinion, it's not enough to have a working knowledge of "wave mechanics", i.e. wave functions, the Schrödinger equation and that kind of stuff.

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Well, thus far I went through QM theory 1 in my univ, what I have come about I guess most of QM vol 1 by Cohen-Tannoudji (I mean from class most of the time, it's pretty tiresome to read from this volume), and this coming fall semester I will be learning QM 2 theory, still undergraduate, I am planning to learn as well some graduate maths courses this fall (which starts in october here), any advice which topics in Cohen-Tanoudji to read in volume 2?

Have I said already that it's pretty tiring to go through Cohen-Tannoudji, and from computer screen?! (-:

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A good QM book that gets you ready (that's its aim) for QFT, is Sakurai (modern QM). You'll recognize stuff from Cohen-Tannoudji, but it is more condensed, and gives sometimes more insight (but much less broad).

8. Aug 10, 2009 #7

Landau

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Aug 10, 2009 #8

Well, a typical order might be QM, relativistic QM, and then QFT. But obviously you don't need everything from QM for QFT, just as you don't need everything from relativistic QM for QFT. For example you don't need to solve the hydrogen atom in QM to do QFT, or any detailed scattering calculations in QM for that matter.

I'd just dive into QFT with an easier book like Mandl and Shaw, just to get you going, keeping in mind that later on you'll read a proper book on QFT which will show you how undetailed the easier book was.

I actually thought Zee's book was for people who already knew a bit of QFT. I can't imagine reading that without having done a bit of QFT. That derivation of the Weinberg-Coleman potential in the chapter on effective potentials, without using Feynman diagrams (!), seem to me a bit advanced.

O and I imagine a bit of knowledge of classical field theory, some CFT - lagrangians and stuff - would help in QFT.

10. Aug 11, 2009 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook