If Up to You, Would You Live in Natural Disaster Prone Area?

In summary, it's up to each individual to decide whether or not they want to live in an area that is prone to natural disasters.
kyphysics
Florida hurricanes...Oklahoma tornados...These are two areas I never want to live no matter the salary (okay, for $500,000 or more, sure...I'm there!).

I have to imagine it sucks having having your house flooded/blown down every three or so years. Not to mention your loved ones possibly dying in the midst of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I wouldn't consider it but there are people whose families have been in a particular area for generations, they grew up there, all there friends are there, and on and on.

Likes scottdave
It is up to me. Why isn't it up to you?

JT Smith said:
Of course it's a matter of personal choice, but what does that have to do with anything? See post #2 for example.

I lived in earthquake prone California, Tokyo, and Bali, which also has an active volcano. Recently many were evacuated to camps for months but nothing happened.

I live near Myrtle Beach, SC and couldn't get to this thread last night because Ian knocked out our power and internet. :)

Of course, I volunteer with the Red Cross, so bad stuff doesn't bother me so much because I get to help out afterward.

-Dan

Likes scottdave, jtbell, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
You cannot move several million people from Houston, over New Orleans down to Miami to Montana. And even if, what about Yellowstone? Better move to Europe. Wait, what about the Phlegraean Fields?

I think such a debate only makes sense in its broader version. How many people on Earth live in vulnerable areas (volcanos, coastlines, tectonic fault lines, hazardous weather phenomena)? 80%? More? There are good reasons for many to take the risks: agriculture, trade, and big cities.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, dextercioby, Algr and 3 others
Feel better for the elderly in Florida, though. Many retirees there, who may not be very mobile.

Ironically many live in mobile homes.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
JT Smith said:
Ironically many live in mobile homes.
Fairly irrelevant since mobile homes are generally not really treated as mobile once they're in place.

Likes Wrichik Basu
kyphysics said:
Feel better for the elderly in Florida, though. Many retirees there, who may not be very mobile.
:wideeyed: OMG...that should have read "bad"! . . .can't believe I typo'd that.

topsquark said:
Of course, I volunteer with the Red Cross, so bad stuff doesn't bother me so much because I get to help out afterward.
Thank you for your service. :smile:

JT Smith said:
Fair question. I work in high-tech as an EE in R&D, so one of the main epicenters of employment (pardon the pun) is Silicon Valley. The Hayward Fault runs north-south on the east side of Silicon Valley (where the water lines come down out of the hills). The predicted 7.0 earthquake is overdue by a decade or so, so we do lots of emergency preparedness drills here.

Based on my experiences in those drills with local FD and EMS, I learned a lot about the various things that affect the magnitude of the damage from earthquakes around here (like liquifaction down near the Bay and less severe shaking and damage in the areas that are on bedrock). My wife and I recently made it a point to move from a very high risk area to a nearby region that still keeps me close to Silicon Valley for my work, but puts us on top of bedrock for the next shaker. It will still be ugly when it hits.

Likes Klystron, phinds and BillTre
berkeman said:
Fair question. I work in high-tech as an EE in R&D, so one of the main epicenters of employment (pardon the pun) is Silicon Valley. The Hayward Fault runs north-south on the east side of Silicon Valley (where the water lines come down out of the hills). The predicted 7.0 earthquake is overdue by a decade or so, so we do lots of emergency preparedness drills here.

Based on my experiences in those drills with local FD and EMS, I learned a lot about the various things that affect the magnitude of the damage from earthquakes around here (like liquifaction down near the Bay and less severe shaking and damage in the areas that are on bedrock). My wife and I recently made it a point to move from a very high risk area to a nearby region that still keeps me close to Silicon Valley for my work, but puts us on top of bedrock for the next shaker. It will still be ugly when it hits.
Yes, I worried about it when I lived there. I lived in Santa Cruz, that had many buildings destroyed. The ones that replaced them were ugly. Too bad.

Tokyo used to have a catastrophe about once a generation. Flood, volcano, war, pestilence, fire. If you were unlucky you might experience three in a lifetime. It was nevertheless the world's most populated city.

kyphysics said:
Florida hurricanes...Oklahoma tornados...These are two areas I never want to live no matter the salary (okay, for $500,000 or more, sure...I'm there!).

I have to imagine it sucks having having your house flooded/blown down every three or so years. Not to mention your loved ones possibly dying in the midst of it.
Under no circumstances. What is the point of a high salary if the fruits of your hard work blow away in front of your eyes? With your kids in it?
The worst we get in the UK are floods and I can understand why the generational thing keeps people in higher risk areas and some of them are very beautiful, York for instance.

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
The worst we get in the UK are floods and ...
Haggis.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes DaveE, CalcNerd, Vanadium 50 and 4 others
Let's see whether I get this right for the US:

• East and Gulf coasts of the US. Can't live there because of hurricanes.
  • West of the Rockies - can't live there because of earthquakes,.
  • Midwest - earthquakes again: the New Madrid fault.
  • Upper Midwest: Blizzards and Floods.
  • Hawaii - Volcanoes.
  • West Texas: Rednecks
What is left?

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Mondayman, Rive, CalcNerd and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:

• Hawaii - Volcanoes.
What is left?
NM.

Vanadium 50 said:

• Hawaii - Volcanoes.
What is left?
Hey! I take offense to that. I come from a long line of distinguished rednecks and we come from PA.

And you forgot about the North East. They have art festivals and antique shops. Very dangerous!

-Dan

Likes scottdave
fresh_42 said:
NM.
Scorpions.🦂

Tropical Storm Norma also killed a bunch of people there, although truth be told, they weren't really prepared for that.

topsquark said:
And you forgot about the North East.
Invasive Canadians. 🇨🇦

1938 New England Hurricane. Again, the populace was relatively unprepared for a storm of that intensity that far north.

Likes topsquark
fresh_42 said:
NM.
I found the datum that would be the put off/national disaster.

"ranks last in overall performance and quality, with some of the highest dropout rates and lowest math and reading scores."

Vanadium 50 said:

• Hawaii - Volcanoes.
What is left?
Tornados, supervolcanoes, nuclear waste, meteor strikes, genetically modified spiders, plague, and politics.

• Love
Likes topsquark
Vanadium 50 said:
Upper Midwest: Blizzards
Blizzards a natural disaster? Nonsense - blizzards are an excuse to take a day off of work. Or not do something you did not want to do anyway. Or go play in the snow.

Likes gleem, russ_watters and fresh_42
kyphysics said:
You forgot earthquakes in California, the potential volcanos waking up in Washington and Oregon, and the whole "tornado alley" (not just Oklahoma).

Practically the whole United States has disasters nowadays due to climate change. Extreme heat in the midwest. Wildfires in the west. Brutal winters that have never before been seen. Widespread flooding. Uninhabitable zones forming on the planet.

COVID-19 was a godsend in a sense, because it changed the business culture to accept more remote work (for jobs that don't involve service, tourism, construction, etc.), freeing up people to live somewhere else and still work.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes Bystander
Anachronist said:
Practically the whole United States has disasters nowadays due to climate change
How do you blame earthquakes on climate change? And for that matter, pre-20th century disasters.

It's better to look at the data without dragging climate change into it.

Likes Bystander and russ_watters
phinds said:
Fairly irrelevant since mobile homes are generally not really treated as mobile once they're in place.

It was a joke.

The OP question is not very well phrased. What does natural disaster prone mean? I live where there is a constant threat of a devastating earthquake. But while it may come today it also may not come in my lifetime. So is this area prone to natural disasters? Big hurricanes happen more frequently but how often do they blow and wash away your particular town?

All that said there are places where it's obvious that you're taking a risk. But there are lots of other places where the risk is harder to calculate. Whether or not "you" would live there is complicated. There are always many tradeoffs in deciding where you will live.

I live where I do because it's where my sweetheart was living when I got to know her. The reason I moved to this general area in the first place was employment. I'll bet those two things, family and jobs, account for the vast majority of decisions about where we live.

bizarro-cliff-house.gif

• Haha
Likes DaveE, CalcNerd, BillTre and 3 others
Vanadium 50 said:
How do you blame earthquakes on climate change? And for that matter, pre-20th century disasters.

Bill Nye once got asked (by a CNN reporter!) the question "Is global warming the reason the asteroid is coming this way?"

Why not climate change and earthquakes? :)

-Dan

Likes CalcNerd and russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:

I did not, as should be abundantly clear if you read my post without selectively quoting it. The earthquakes were in a different paragraph. The climate change related disasters were in a separate paragraph.

My point still stands, that climate change has increased the geographic area in which disasters occur, such as floods, fires, extreme heat, and extreme cold. As you said, look at the data and you have no choice about "dragging climate change into it."

Likes DaveE
JT Smith said:
What does natural disaster prone mean?
I think one measure may be to see what types of homeowner insurance policies are available and not available (or extra expensive) in certain areas and sub-areas. It's probably pretty hard to get flood insurance in flood zones, and earthquake insurance in liquifaction zones in earthquake country, etc.

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/...at-disasters-does-homeowners-insurance-cover/
A homeowners insurance policy typically covers natural disasters caused by explosion, fire, lightning, hail, windstorm, hurricanes, tornadoes, extreme cold, volcanoes and theft. Homeowners insurance usually does not cover earthquakes, floods, tsunamis or nuclear disasters.

Before a natural disaster occurs, it is essential to know what is covered and not covered by your homeowners insurance as there are several policy types available. Learn more about what is covered by homeowners insurance, what is not and what to do if you have experienced a natural disaster.

Likes russ_watters
berkeman said:
I think one measure may be to see what types of homeowner insurance policies are available and not available (or extra expensive) in certain areas and sub-areas. It's probably pretty hard to get flood insurance in flood zones, and earthquake insurance in liquifaction zones in earthquake country, etc.

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/...at-disasters-does-homeowners-insurance-cover/

That's not a bad idea. I was hoping for a list of cities or a map or something.

I did find this: US Natural Hazards Index

hazards.png

Likes russ_watters and dlgoff
dlgoff said:
Here in Kansas, tornados are possible
Make sure your hose doesn't land on anybody!

...and your little dog too!

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
Vanadium 50 said:
Make sure your hose doesn't land on anybody!
Or your horse! Or heaven forbid your house! :wink:

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and dlgoff
<h2>1. Should I live in a natural disaster prone area?</h2><p>It ultimately depends on your personal risk tolerance and the level of preparedness in the area. Living in a natural disaster prone area can have its benefits, such as a lower cost of living, but it also comes with potential risks that should be carefully considered.</p><h2>2. What are the most common natural disasters in these areas?</h2><p>The most common natural disasters in these areas include hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires, and floods. It's important to research the specific area you are considering living in to understand the frequency and severity of these events.</p><h2>3. How can I prepare for living in a natural disaster prone area?</h2><p>Preparing for living in a natural disaster prone area involves creating an emergency plan, having necessary supplies on hand, and staying informed about potential risks. It's also important to have adequate insurance coverage and to follow any evacuation orders issued by local authorities.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to living in a natural disaster prone area?</h2><p>Living in a natural disaster prone area can have its benefits, such as lower cost of living, access to natural resources, and a sense of community. However, it's important to carefully weigh these benefits against the potential risks.</p><h2>5. How can I assess the risk of living in a natural disaster prone area?</h2><p>There are a few factors to consider when assessing the risk of living in a natural disaster prone area, including the frequency and severity of past events, the level of preparedness in the area, and the potential impact on your personal and financial well-being. It's also important to consult with experts and gather information from reliable sources.</p>

1. Should I live in a natural disaster prone area?

It ultimately depends on your personal risk tolerance and the level of preparedness in the area. Living in a natural disaster prone area can have its benefits, such as a lower cost of living, but it also comes with potential risks that should be carefully considered.

2. What are the most common natural disasters in these areas?

The most common natural disasters in these areas include hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires, and floods. It's important to research the specific area you are considering living in to understand the frequency and severity of these events.

3. How can I prepare for living in a natural disaster prone area?

Preparing for living in a natural disaster prone area involves creating an emergency plan, having necessary supplies on hand, and staying informed about potential risks. It's also important to have adequate insurance coverage and to follow any evacuation orders issued by local authorities.

4. Are there any benefits to living in a natural disaster prone area?

Living in a natural disaster prone area can have its benefits, such as lower cost of living, access to natural resources, and a sense of community. However, it's important to carefully weigh these benefits against the potential risks.

5. How can I assess the risk of living in a natural disaster prone area?

There are a few factors to consider when assessing the risk of living in a natural disaster prone area, including the frequency and severity of past events, the level of preparedness in the area, and the potential impact on your personal and financial well-being. It's also important to consult with experts and gather information from reliable sources.