What SciFi universe would you live in?

In summary: I think the writers did a great job of seamlessly weaving the Ori storyline into the show and not making it feel like a blatant cash grab.In summary, the SGU universe would be my favorite because it has a great plot and character development, while the Star Trek after the Dominion War universe would be my second choice because it has all of the benefits discussed above and is in a great position of power.
I asked this question to Doc Al in his interview, but I think it would be fun to hear from everyone. You can pick any well known SciFi universe to live in. Which would it be?

I would say Star Trek just for the holodeck and the device where food is instantly made. Seems fairly stable too.

Likes Mr.Robot
Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely Star trek TNG.

star gate sg-1

I'll have to go with next gen too...

but I wouldn't argue with hanging out with Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect making and eating perfectly normal beast sandwiches and arguing with old Thrashbarg, but I could recreate that on the holodeck just the same.

Last edited:
I mean TNG, you've got the Enterprise, a holodeck, a replicator, a transporter, cool non-invasive medical procedures, synthahol. :cool:

Evo said:
I mean TNG, you've got the Enterprise, a holodeck, a replicator, a transporter, cool non-invasive medical procedures, synthahol. :cool:

I'd also like to have a couple Q&A sessions with that computer, so much knowledge, and presumably correct at that.

Barsoom!

Star Trek TNG for sure. I would have too much fun in the holodeck.

Defenitely star trek TNG,k really want to meet an android

jedishrfu said:
star gate sg-1

The nice thing about the Stargate SG-1 universe is that it feels close enough that you can almost pretend you're already in it.

However, I ceased being able to suspend my disbelief when they started playing with the device that switches people instantaneously between different bodies anywhere in the universe (at the start of the Ori thread, then as a mainstay of Stargate Universe, which I hated).

Jonathan Scott said:
The nice thing about the Stargate SG-1 universe is that it feels close enough that you can almost pretend you're already in it.

However, I ceased being able to suspend my disbelief when they started playing with the device that switches people instantaneously between different bodies anywhere in the universe (at the start of the Ori thread, then as a mainstay of Stargate Universe, which I hated).

Yeah, the show kinda went downhill when Richard Dean Anderson left but Morena was a pretty nice replacement.

Unoriginal, but hands down Star Wars. Can't help it, I watched that series a thousand times as a kid. Actually, when someone asks me my favorite movie, I tell them a more recent or thoughtful one, but always in my mind I am thinking "Star Wars aside." Close second would be Wheel of Time, though.

Oops..couldn't forget Serenity and the firefly series.

Dr. Who, but only if I get to be a Time Lord.

Any universe with a Death Note would be my piece of cake. :biggrin:

I'd live on the universe of Foundation.
Advanced math, advanced tech. Sure it'll be fun.

The Hitchhiker's Guide and the outer planets in Firefly just because the idea of cowboy/space travel sounds adventurous :D

Some of these answers are a little surprising, TNG has the Dominion War in its future (Earth even gets attacked!), Doctor Who has invaders every other week, Firefly has an alliance that is pretty much dominating everyone, Star Wars is imperialistic and fractured, Hitchhiker's (at least the movie) has a universe dominated by creatively-stunted bureaucrats.

If we are only working with cannon I think that Star Trek after the Dominion War would be my choice, so really late DS9. All the benefits discussed above, a Federation that is now in a position of power greater than ever before (they can reverse engineer Dominion tech, the Cardassians/etc are all ruined, the Klingon Empire is worse off than ever before, the Romulan Empire is in bad shape and they are going to get worse after the supernova and civil war, all meaning that space is ripe for Federation expansion (sort of like the EU and NATO after the end of the cold war)). Sure they have a war fresh in their mind but they are also still in good shape and reconstruction will leave them as the almost undisputed superpower. The only remaining enormous threat is the borg and we already know from the time travellers that this isn't a particularly existential threat unless you plan to 'bravely go' into the Delta Quadrant.

Likes ComplexVar89
Ryan_m_b said:
The Culture from author Iain M Banks would be a pretty nice place.

The Culture universe is very serene and idyllic.

Jonathan Scott said:

I absolutely adore SGU. It contained more of an appealing plot and character development than I saw in SG-1 or SG-Atlantis, which was based more on fighting and gunsplosions.

Interestingly, I've noticed that people who like SG-1 or SG-Atlantis tend not to like SGU, and that the opposite is true as well.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
The Culture universe is very serene and idyllic.

I absolutely adore SGU. It contained more of an appealing plot and character development than I saw in SG-1 or SG-Atlantis, which was based more on fighting and gunsplosions.

Interestingly, I've noticed that people who like SG-1 or SG-Atlantis tend not to like SGU, and that the opposite is true as well.

With respect to SG-1 and SGU, I watched both but always preferred SG-1. I think it was the team with Richard Dean Anderson working together that I liked the most whereas on SGU they always seemed at odds with one another and I tend to hate shows with conflict from within where you didn't know who you could trust. I even preferred SG-1 over the original Stargate movie after watching a few episodes although the movie special effects were superb.

jedishrfu said:
With respect to SG-1 and SGU, I watched both but always preferred SG-1. I think it was the team with Richard Dean Anderson working together that I liked the most whereas on SGU they always seemed at odds with one another and I tend to hate shows with conflict from within where you didn't know who you could trust. I even preferred SG-1 over the original Stargate movie after watching a few episodes although the movie special effects were superb.

Yeah, the conflict annoyed me sometimes, too, but I felt as if they gradually realized that if they wanted to survive, they needed to start cooperating more, which we saw closer to the end of the 2nd season, which is unfortunately the last one :frown:

The show had so much potential.

Evo said:
And the Borg. (Uh-oh, now I'm wondering what you'd look like in 7-of-9's body suit. I'd better log out quick.)

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Yeah, the conflict annoyed me sometimes, too, but I felt as if they gradually realized that if they wanted to survive, they needed to start cooperating more, which we saw closer to the end of the 2nd season, which is unfortunately the last one :frown:

The show had so much potential.

I liked the ship mystery and how it rejuvenated itself by diving into a star. SG Atlantis had a similar irritating character with that one Dr MacKay dude.

Transmetropolitan, but only if I got to be a journalist.

If we're sticking to movies, then probably Avatar - the ability to give a person a "new" body if they ruin their original would be more useful and important than even a holodeck. If we're going with books, then John Varley's "Ten Worlds" universe would be even better - body modification is simple and reliable, old age is a non-issue, the majority of our solar system has been colonized (in some cases by extreme body modified people, such as within the rings of Saturn) and the rest of the galaxy is teeming with life, that has just made contact with humans and offered many of their technologies in exchange for cultural and artistic concepts. Also, the only warfare is economic, as opposed to state-sponsored mass murder and genocide - which is even better than Star Trek, where the various races are still at war with each other.

Lexx. No particular reason. No way I wear those Star Trek uniforms.

strangerep said:
And the Borg. (Uh-oh, now I'm wondering what you'd look like in 7-of-9's body suit. I'd better log out quick.)

And now I'm wondering what 7-of-9 would look like while you were wearing her body suit...

Star Trek TNG. A utopian universe where humans just strive to better themselves and are pushed forward by the need for exploration.

What, no Game of Thrones? :P There is a big difference between liking to watch a show and wanting to be in it. Hence all the Star Trek TNG. It might be interesting to ask what would be the _worst_ Sci Fi universe to live in. I'd choose:

Blake's 7
Red Dwarf
DC / Marvel comics
Revolution (Haven't actually seen it, going by ads.)
Anything with Zombies or undead
Harry Potter (How can people with magic have such a hopelessly bad justice system?)

Algr said:
What, no Game of Thrones? :P There is a big difference between liking to watch a show and wanting to be in it. Hence all the Star Trek TNG. It might be interesting to ask what would be the _worst_ Sci Fi universe to live in. I'd choose:

Blake's 7
Red Dwarf
DC / Marvel comics
Revolution (Haven't actually seen it, going by ads.)
Anything with Zombies or undead
Harry Potter (How can people with magic have such a hopelessly bad justice system?)

Dune
Metropolis
Game Of Thrones, unless I can be Bronn, son of "you probably never heard of him."

I'd choose the Library of Babel.

If honor and wisdom and happiness are not for me, let them be for others. Let heaven exist, though my place be in hell. Let me be outraged and annihilated, but for one instant, in one being, let Your enormous Library be justified. The impious maintain that nonsense is normal in the Library and that the reasonable (and even humble and pure coherence) is an almost miraculous exception. They speak (I know) of the ``feverish Library whose chance volumes are constantly in danger of changing into others and affirm, negate and confuse everything like a delirious divinity.'' These words, which not only denounce the disorder but exemplify it as well, notoriously prove their authors' abominable taste and desperate ignorance. In truth, the Library includes all verbal structures, all variations permitted by the twenty-five orthographical symbols, but not a single example of absolute nonsense.

Admittedly, the first big problem with this universe is gravity. If the library is infinite, then the distribution of mass is uniform, and there's just as much mass pulling you "up" as there is pulling you "down". In fact, there should be no up or down.

But, assuming there's gravity for some reason, the other problem is their waste and disposal system.

Since the library is infinite, they don't have to worry about dead bodies.

Once I am dead, there will be no lack of pious hands to throw me over the railing; my grave will be the fathomless air; my body will sink endlessly and decay and dissolve in the wind generated by the fall, which is infinite.

Seems like a great idea, except if the library is infinite, then there must be an infinite number of librarians on the infinite number of floors above you, which means an infinite number of dead bodies falling past your floor in various states of decay. That doesn't actually mean the density of dead bodies falling past your floor is particularly high, since librarians probably live around 75 years or so before they die? And librarians falling from floors far enough above you will have decayed by time they fall past your floor? And librarians falling from far, far above you will be passing your floor at incredibly high rates of speed, perhaps close to the speed of light? (Which just emphasizes the gravity problem!)

Somehow, though, I find the restrooms a little more disturbing. Obviously, you're not going to rig a plumbing system for an infinite library when all you have to do is flush the waste out the back of the restroom and let it fall forever. But again, there's an infinite number of librarians on the infinite number of floors above you and each librarian above you will defecate a lot more than once every 75 years!

I'd figure out how many dead bodies and waste would be falling past my floor, and the average velocity of the stuff falling past my floor, but, again, this is an infinite library and at least one of the books has to have the answer without me having to figure this out myself.

If only I could find that damn book!

I guess the obvious thing would be to figure out how many rooms it would take to hold every possible book in every possible order, but somehow I just found their waste disposal system a little more pressing.

And, equally obvious, I care more about an interesting problem than I do pleasant living conditions to choose the Library of Babel as my scifi universe.

With all of the waste falling at different speeds, I wonder how many collisions there are and how far the debris scatters with each collision. Somehow, I feel like the picture of that universe has as much resemblance to the actual conditions as the pictures of Big Macs do to the Big Macs they actually put in the bag.

Last edited:
Isn't Game of Thrones more fantasy than sci-fi?

But it Game of Thrones is allowed, then I would definitely most like to live in Narnia.

If not, then I would probably go with Larry Niven's "Known Space" universe.

I wouldn't want to live in any of William Gibson's novels. nope.

Star Wars, hands down. Forget all the fancy tech, there's The Force. Seriously, how much fun would that be?

<h2>1. What is the most popular SciFi universe to live in?</h2><p>The most popular SciFi universe to live in varies depending on personal preferences, but some of the most commonly mentioned ones include Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who.</p><h2>2. Which SciFi universe has the most advanced technology?</h2><p>Again, this is subjective and can vary depending on the specific technology being considered. However, some of the most advanced SciFi universes in terms of technology include the Culture series by Iain M. Banks and the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.</p><h2>3. Are there any SciFi universes that are considered dangerous to live in?</h2><p>Yes, there are definitely some SciFi universes that would be considered dangerous to live in due to the presence of hostile alien species, advanced weaponry, or oppressive governments. Examples include the Warhammer 40,000 universe and the world of the Hunger Games.</p><h2>4. Is there a SciFi universe that is known for its diverse and inclusive society?</h2><p>Yes, there are many SciFi universes that feature diverse and inclusive societies, often as a way to explore themes of equality and social justice. Some notable examples include the Star Trek universe and the Mass Effect series.</p><h2>5. Are there any SciFi universes that are based on real scientific principles?</h2><p>Yes, there are many SciFi universes that incorporate real scientific principles and theories into their worldbuilding. Some examples include the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey and the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.</p>

1. What is the most popular SciFi universe to live in?

The most popular SciFi universe to live in varies depending on personal preferences, but some of the most commonly mentioned ones include Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who.

2. Which SciFi universe has the most advanced technology?

Again, this is subjective and can vary depending on the specific technology being considered. However, some of the most advanced SciFi universes in terms of technology include the Culture series by Iain M. Banks and the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.

3. Are there any SciFi universes that are considered dangerous to live in?

Yes, there are definitely some SciFi universes that would be considered dangerous to live in due to the presence of hostile alien species, advanced weaponry, or oppressive governments. Examples include the Warhammer 40,000 universe and the world of the Hunger Games.

4. Is there a SciFi universe that is known for its diverse and inclusive society?

Yes, there are many SciFi universes that feature diverse and inclusive societies, often as a way to explore themes of equality and social justice. Some notable examples include the Star Trek universe and the Mass Effect series.

5. Are there any SciFi universes that are based on real scientific principles?

Yes, there are many SciFi universes that incorporate real scientific principles and theories into their worldbuilding. Some examples include the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey and the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.