What Should I Actually Use Next Semester?

• Thread starter 2ltben
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Semester
In summary, some recommendations for textbooks for various courses have been discussed, including options for Mathematical Modeling, Mathematical Statistics, Meteorology, and Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics. Suggestions for Quantum Mechanics and Optics references have also been provided. The conversation also mentions a preference for certain textbooks and a lack of familiarity with others, as well as a potential recommendation for P.Chem books for Thermodynamics and Richard Liboff's text for Quantum Mechanics.
2ltben
My university has released their book list for the courses this Spring and I'd figured I'd check against people who know the topics about what books I should actually use to understand the material. My Physics department is usually pretty decent with their book choices, but I've yet to come across a satisfactory choice from my Math department.

Mathematical Modeling
Introduction to Mathematical Modeling Using Discrete Dynamical Systems, Marotto

Mathematical Statistics
Mathematical Statistics, Freund

Meteorology
Severe and Hazardous Weather, Rauber

Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics
Thermal Physics, Schroeder

I've yet to see anything from my Analysis course and I'm probably going to need Quantum Mechanics and Optics references for my Advanced Physics Lab (Griffiths or Shankar for the Quantum, no ideas for the Optics) and a Linear Algebra reference wouldn't hurt either.

Can anyone care to lend their advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I know I will get my advice back?

The only text I have any familiarity with on your list is the physics text (Schroeder)... and it's very good for an intro thermodynamics course. Sorry I don't have experience in the other texts.

Griffith's is a decent quantum text; some people tend to think it glosses over things, I used it in undergrad and still was top in my grad classes. I also just simply had a very good (quantum optics) professor for my undergrad courses.

With regards to optics, I'm not as keen on Hecht as a number of people are, although it's be a fine reference... I tend to prefer Pedrotti and Pedrotti... although I haven't seen the latest edition with yet a third Pedrotti (the guy I had for quantum!... tho' I sadly didn't have him for optics despite using his relatives' text). In all actuality... if you really want to get into optics, Born and Wolf would be the way to go... but you may need more of an E&M background to really have it be useful.

Sorry I can't help you on the math areas... :blushing:

I am not a big fan of Schroeder's text for thermo. Something about the style of writing gets under my skin. Seeing diagrams that include wizards in a physics text just doesn't sit well.

If you want something kind of dry for Thermo, I'd pick up pretty much anything by McQuarrie, though it is unlikely that you will find his stat. mech book useful.

Actually, the best texts I found for thermo are often P.Chem books.

As for quantum. Liboff! You really can't go wrong with Richard Liboff. It is a slightly advanced undergraduate text for quantum mechanics, but it is written far better than Griffiths.

1. What factors should I consider when deciding what to use next semester?

When choosing what to use next semester, it's important to consider the subject matter, your learning style, the level of difficulty, and the format of the course (online, in-person, hybrid). Additionally, think about any software or technology requirements, as well as your personal preferences.

2. How do I know if a certain textbook or resource will be helpful for me?

Before using a textbook or resource, read reviews from other students or talk to your professor. You can also preview the material, if possible, or ask for a sample chapter. Consider your learning style and if the material is presented in a way that works for you.

3. Should I use a physical textbook or an online resource?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and the format of the course. If the course is online, an online resource may be more convenient. However, if you prefer to take notes and highlight, a physical textbook may be a better choice. It's also a good idea to consider the cost difference between the two options.

4. Are there any free resources that I can use instead of purchasing a textbook?

Yes, there are many free resources available online such as open educational resources (OERs) and educational websites. Your school's library may also have access to online databases and e-books that you can use for free. Talk to your professor or a librarian for recommendations.

5. How can I make sure I'm using the best resources for my course?

Aside from considering the factors mentioned in the first question, it's important to communicate with your professor. They can provide insight on which resources are most relevant and helpful for the course. You can also reach out to upperclassmen or classmates for recommendations based on their experiences.