What should I do? A dillemma: to transfer or not

  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
flyingpig
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
1
I'll make this brief. I am right now in a very small university with at most 5 physics professors. The math dep here is quite strong, I say about 10 profs at most?

Now here is the problem, in the fall I applied to transfer to a big university which has like 40 professors in each dept, I didn't get in. I checked my application again this morning and apparently my application was reviewed and they accepted me again for this Fall.

Now the small university I go to may have a small staff, but the professors are excellent. I think there is actually a grade inflation in our university because we have third year courses with an average of 80%...

Compared with the big university, the averages are 60% ish...

I know I shouldn't stoop so low as to stay at the university that would boost my grades, but the big university is where I live close by, and the expenses are probably cheaper too in the near future.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
I'll make this brief. I am right now in a very small university with at most 5 physics professors. The math dep here is quite strong, I say about 10 profs at most?

Now here is the problem, in the fall I applied to transfer to a big university which has like 40 professors in each dept, I didn't get in. I checked my application again this morning and apparently my application was reviewed and they accepted me again for this Fall.

Now the small university I go to may have a small staff, but the professors are excellent. I think there is actually a grade inflation in our university because we have third year courses with an average of 80%...

Compared with the big university, the averages are 60% ish...

I know I shouldn't stoop so low as to stay at the university that would boost my grades, but the big university is where I live close by, and the expenses are probably cheaper too in the near future.
I'm not qualified enough to answer but I believe that if you could tell us what year you are in, you might get better answers. (I don't think you are in your third year, right? I remember you :) )
 
I was 1st year, I am transferring (or could be) as 2nd year. If I wait, I will transfer as 3rd year next year (shouldn't be too difficult to keep up with grades)
 
I'm transferring to an engineering university too which is known for its grade deflation. It might be harder but the university will be more equipped than my current smaller one and has more research areas to choose from. If your current college has enough resources to satisfy your academic needs than I don't really see a reason to transfer.
 
No, but it's getting expensive on my parents. I don't really want to burden them too much.

Edit:

It's either "easy" grades or parents' $$
 
Last edited:
It's up to you then. My new University is also close to home so I won't have to have my parents pay for a dorm, but parking costs around $600 and gas is rising so it doesn't help much. I'd choose to save my parents the trouble. If you're a good student, you'd find the grade deflation motivating to try harder.
 
Fizex said:
It's up to you then. My new University is also close to home so I won't have to have my parents pay for a dorm, but parking costs around $600 and gas is rising so it doesn't help much. I'd choose to save my parents the trouble. If you're a good student, you'd find the grade deflation motivating to try harder.

Lol I failed the driving test like 3 times already, I won't be driving any time soon