Aerospace Students: How close is thermofluids to aero?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to pursue aerospace/astronautical engineering at a university and their current limitations in their undergraduate program, with the closest option being a "thermofluids" track in mechanical engineering. They also mention their plan to pursue a master's degree in aerospace engineering and wonder how applicable their current studies in thermofluids will be to their future studies. The response advises them to ensure they take courses in viscous flow and compressible flow as an undergraduate, as these are important concepts in aerospace engineering.
martinlematre
I wish I could go to a university with aerospace/astronautical engineering. At my uni, we only have mech electrical chem etc. The closest thing to aero is limited entry "thermofluids" option you can take in 3rd year mechanical engineering. I plan to get a masters in astronautical engineering/aerospace engineering and want to know how applicable what I plan to do now (thermofluids) will be to astro/aero eng masters

Physics news on Phys.org
Well that depends on what "thermofluids" entails at said university. I got a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and focused my electives on the thermal fluid sciences and then am just about finished with a PhD in aerospace engineering and it was a perfectly acceptable preparation. There are definitely areas where I am not as familiar with certain aspects of aerospace as those who did it as a four-year program, but I haven't found that limiting at all. After all, fluids behave according to the same rules whether it is in a pipe or over a wing.

Just try to make sure you get a chance to at least take viscous flow and compressible flow as an undergraduate and you ought to be able to figure it out just fine from there.

Related to Aerospace Students: How close is thermofluids to aero?

1. What is the main focus of thermofluids in relation to aerospace engineering?

Thermofluids is the study of the behavior and properties of fluids and their interaction with heat and mass transfer. In aerospace engineering, the focus of thermofluids is on the flow and transfer of heat within aircraft and spacecraft systems.

2. How does thermofluids play a role in the design and operation of aircraft?

Thermofluids is essential in the design and operation of aircraft as it helps engineers understand how heat and mass transfer affect the performance and efficiency of various components, such as engines and wings. It also helps in the development of cooling systems and thermal management strategies for aircraft.

3. Is thermofluids more closely related to aerodynamics or propulsion in aerospace engineering?

Thermofluids is closely related to both aerodynamics and propulsion in aerospace engineering. It is important in aerodynamics as it helps in understanding the behavior of fluids in motion and the forces acting on aircraft. In propulsion, thermofluids is crucial in the design and analysis of engines, as it involves the study of fluid flow and heat transfer within the engine.

4. How does thermofluids differ from fluid mechanics in aerospace engineering?

While thermofluids and fluid mechanics both involve the study of fluids, they differ in their scope. Fluid mechanics focuses more on the fundamental principles and equations governing fluid motion, while thermofluids also incorporates the effects of heat and mass transfer on fluid behavior. In aerospace engineering, thermofluids is often used to analyze complex systems where heat transfer plays a significant role, such as in aircraft engines.

5. Are thermofluids courses required for aerospace engineering students?

Thermofluids courses are typically required for aerospace engineering students, as they provide a foundational understanding of fluid behavior and its application in aerospace systems. However, the specific courses and level of emphasis may vary between different universities and programs.