1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Students: How close is thermofluids to aero?

1. Sep 24, 2014 #1
    I wish I could go to a university with aerospace/astronautical engineering. At my uni, we only have mech electrical chem etc. The closest thing to aero is limited entry "thermofluids" option you can take in 3rd year mechanical engineering. I plan to get a masters in astronautical engineering/aerospace engineering and want to know how applicable what I plan to do now (thermofluids) will be to astro/aero eng masters

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2014 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well that depends on what "thermofluids" entails at said university. I got a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and focused my electives on the thermal fluid sciences and then am just about finished with a PhD in aerospace engineering and it was a perfectly acceptable preparation. There are definitely areas where I am not as familiar with certain aspects of aerospace as those who did it as a four-year program, but I haven't found that limiting at all. After all, fluids behave according to the same rules whether it is in a pipe or over a wing.

Just try to make sure you get a chance to at least take viscous flow and compressible flow as an undergraduate and you ought to be able to figure it out just fine from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook