What should I do? [What are my chances in astrophysics?]

In summary, the person is a freshman in Physics in Portugal and is interested in pursuing a career in Astrophysics. They want to know the requirements for working at NASA or another prestigious institution. They are also wondering what else they can do besides studying to gain experience. Someone suggests looking at postdocs and job opportunities at NASA, but warns that it is difficult for foreigners to obtain permanent positions. The person thanks everyone for their input and acknowledges that astro jobs are hard to come by.
StephvsEinst
Hi!
I am a freshman in Physics here in Portugal. I have a career in front of me and I don’t want to waste it.
I wanted to do my master’s degree in Astrophysics if possible and a PhD in a very good university out of Portugal.
With all the respect, could I ask what are the requirements for a Astrophysicist to work in NASA or in another very good institution?
I have several years of study and I want to prepare myself well enough so I can work in a very good institution (p.e. NASA).
Being what it is (a very very good working place and one of the best in the entire world) what else can I do besides studying to gain enough experience?
Thank you for your attention,
Jorge Silva

Physics news on Phys.org

Take a look at postdocs and job opportunities that are available at NASA to get an idea of what they study. Find something that interests you and go in that direction. Of course, there is no guarantee that they will still be interested in that topic once you've finished your education, and even if so there is no guarantee they will have any openings in that area. But that is as good a place to start as any.

NASA is a US government agency; they hire very few foreigners. To get a permanent job at NASA (civil servant) as a foreigner, they basically need to make a case for why no one in the US can do what you do. So you need to be very specialized as well as being very good at what you do, and be useful to them in some way. It's easier (although not much easier) to get a postdoc as a foreign applicant, but that's only a 2-3 year position.

Thank you all, I will keep searching.

I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but astro jobs are hard to come by. I have friends with Astro PhDs from Harvard, Berkeley, etc., who can't find permanent positions.

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects and phenomena. This includes studying the formation, evolution, and interactions of planets, stars, galaxies, and the entire universe.

2. What skills do I need to pursue a career in astrophysics?

To be successful in astrophysics, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. You should also have excellent critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, as well as a passion for space and the universe.

3. How do I increase my chances of success in astrophysics?

To increase your chances of success in astrophysics, it is important to pursue a solid education in relevant fields, such as physics, astronomy, or engineering. You should also participate in research opportunities, network with professionals in the field, and continuously develop your skills and knowledge through self-study and learning new techniques.

4. What are the job prospects for astrophysicists?

The job prospects for astrophysicists are very good, with a projected job growth rate of 7% from 2019-2029. This is faster than the average for other occupations. There is a high demand for astrophysicists in both the public and private sectors, including government agencies, research institutions, and private companies.

5. What can I do with a degree in astrophysics?

A degree in astrophysics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions at universities and national laboratories, teaching positions, and roles in the aerospace industry. You may also have the opportunity to work for government agencies such as NASA or the National Science Foundation. Some astrophysicists also pursue careers in data science, finance, or consulting, as the skills learned in this field are highly transferable.