1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses What should I review over break for this Astrophysics course?

1. Dec 23, 2012 #1
    Description: This course covers stellar astrophysics, solar physics, star formation, stellar evolution, processes in the interstellar medium, galactic dynamics and evolution, formation of galaxies and cosmology.

Book: INTRO TO MODERN ASTROPHYSICS- Carrol

What should I review over break for this course?

I was thinking central-force motion, but i'm not sure if that's all.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2012 #2
    Re: Astrophysics

Hydrostatic Equilibrium for stellar processes; maybe some particle physics? Lagrangian mechanics?

Is this a generic astrophysics course for non-science majors or a core course required for a major? Undergrad or Grad?

SolsticeFire

4. Dec 23, 2012 #3

I would just read the book. Carroll is pretty well written and not much prior knowledge is really necessary. It's not too heavy on the physics, what you do need to review is covered sufficiently in the book.

5. Jan 7, 2013 #4

I think it's an upper-level elective for physics majors (4000 level).

I can't get the book until ~week before the semester, so I was thinking I could look at some topics from the book that was used in classical mechanics.

Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook