• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Courses What physics area should I choose?

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
My university offers some courses in different areas, such as

- Particle Physics (I, II)

- Nuclear Physics (I, II)

- Astrophysics (I)

-Modern Atrophysics (I,II)

- Computational Physics (I, II)

- SR/GR

- Nonlinear Dynamical Sys and Chaos (I, II)

- QM II

So I am allowed to take 6 courses from these topics, I am not sure which ones should I pick. I want to do my masters abroad (Canada or in some European country).
In general, I want to stay in school and do my masters but for example, if I wanted to another job like working for the government or in a private company, then which one should I pursue?

Dr. Courtney

Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
QMII is essential if you are headed to grad school.

Computational Physics (I,II) will give you both some marketable skills as well as likely being useful in grad school.

Odds are Nonlinear Dynamical Sys and Chaos (I, II) will also provide marketable skills and may be useful in grad school.

QMII is essential if you are headed to grad school.

Computational Physics (I,II) will give you both some marketable skills as well as likely being useful in grad school.

Odds are Nonlinear Dynamical Sys and Chaos (I, II) will also provide marketable skills and may be useful in grad school.
I see, well thanks for your reply. Most poeple prefer Computational Physics. What is Chaos used for ?

Dr. Courtney

Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I see, well thanks for your reply. Most poeple prefer Computational Physics. What is Chaos used for ?
It's more the training in seeing how to understand the dynamics of disordered systems of differential equations, combined with the computational skills to see what they are doing in the first place. If these courses are good, you'll develop lots of skills solving and understanding differential equations for disorderly systems. "Chaos" is not so much the point, but rather the training you'll pick up to understand the chaos.

I see your point. So particle physics or astrophysics are dead topics I guess or they are too much theoritical ? So that if I cant get a job in uni i ll be wasted my years..

Dr. Courtney

Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I see your point. So particle physics or astrophysics are dead topics I guess or they are too much theoritical ? So that if I cant get a job in uni i ll be wasted my years..
Not dead by any means. Just less likely to be as useful downstream given your goals and intent.