What should the proper name for the QuickSort algorithm be?

• Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary, QuickSort is a sorting algorithm that uses swaps to efficiently divide a set of elements into two subsets. It is considered to be one of the fastest algorithms for sorting a random set, but can have a worst-case time complexity of O(n^2). Some argue that it should be named "SwapSort" due to its frequent use of swaps, but it is commonly referred to as QuickSort after its creator, C A R Hoare. However, it is worth noting that not all sorting algorithms use swaps and some may use other operations such as shifting elements.
swampwiz
OK, I understand the deal - it was the (and seems to still be) the fastest algorithm for sorting a random set (although it can break down to O(n2) for the worst case non-random.) But it seems that it should have a name that describes its essence, like MergeSort or InsertionSort.

The essence of QuickSort is to find a pair of elements (from each side) that should be on the other side due to their comparison with the pivot value, and then swap them, thus guaranteeing that when the set is divided, the elements of one subset are always less than the elements of the other set (i.e., the conquering.) It seems to me that although most (all?) sort algorithms do swaps, rather than swapping between adjacent elements, or between one constant index element and that of another index, QuickSort does swaps all over the place. Thus, if I had to name QuickSort, I think I would name it SwapSort.

What do you think?

Technology news on Phys.org
No, please call it quicksort.

As for your observations that most sorts seem to use swaps, swaps are a feature of a number in-place algorithms. One might have a sorting algorithm that is not in-place. In this case, a sorted copy of the data might be made in a second data structure. A disadvantage of this is that it requires the extra memory for the second data structure.

Also, a sorting algorithm might perform an operation like shifting a bunch of elements by 1 position in the sequence, and this might be not be exactly the same as swapping things.

Last edited:
C A R Hoare first developed the QuickSort in 1960. Way back, some people used to use his name to refer to the QuickSort algorithm, Hoare's QuickSort.

1. What is the QuickSort algorithm?

The QuickSort algorithm is a sorting algorithm used to arrange elements in a list or array in a specific order, typically from smallest to largest.

2. Why is there a debate about the proper name for the QuickSort algorithm?

There is a debate about the proper name for the QuickSort algorithm because the algorithm was originally published by Tony Hoare in 1962 as "partition-exchange sort" and later renamed as "QuickSort" by C. A. R. Hoare in 1963. Some argue that the algorithm should be called "Hoare's Sort" to give credit to its original creator.

3. What are the arguments for and against renaming the QuickSort algorithm?

Arguments for renaming the QuickSort algorithm include giving proper credit to Tony Hoare for his contribution and avoiding confusion with other sorting algorithms that also use the term "quick sort". Arguments against renaming include the widespread use and recognition of the name "QuickSort" and the potential for confusion if the name were to change.

4. Has there been any official decision made about the proper name for the QuickSort algorithm?

No, there has not been an official decision made about the proper name for the QuickSort algorithm. The name "QuickSort" is still widely used and recognized, but some academic papers and programming languages have started to use "Hoare's Sort" instead.

5. How important is the name of an algorithm in the scientific community?

The importance of an algorithm's name in the scientific community varies. While some may argue that it is important to give proper credit and recognition to the original creator, others may argue that the functionality and efficiency of the algorithm are more important than its name. Ultimately, the success and widespread adoption of an algorithm is what truly matters in the scientific community.