What speed do you need to drive to keep the Sun stationary?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DeepSpace9
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Speed Sun
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
DeepSpace9
Messages
57
Reaction score
1
If I was in the car driving westward, how fast would I have to drive in order for the Sun to appear as if it is not moving.. In other words if I start driving at 1pm, how fast do I have to go so I'm always at 1pm.?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what your latitude is. The higher the latitude, the slower you need to go. At the equator the rotational velocity of the Earth is around 1,670 km/h, so you'd need to go that fast to keep the Sun stationary.