What speed should you push the box

Delta PE + Delta U = 0In summary, the problem involves finding the speed at which a box of nails should be pushed down a roof with a 23 degree pitch, in order for it to come to a gentle stop at the edge of the roof. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the roof is given as 0.50. The solution involves using energy equations, specifically considering the work done by friction to change the box's kinetic and potential energies.
mullets1200

Homework Statement

You and your friend Peter are putting new shingles on a roof pitched at 23degree . You're sitting on the very top of the roof when Peter, who is at the edge of the roof directly below you, 5.4 m away, asks you for the box of nails. Rather than carry the 2.3 kg box of nails down to Peter, you decide to give the box a push and have it slide down to him.
If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the roof is 0.50, with what speed should you push the box to have it gently come to rest right at the edge of the roof?

Homework Equations

I don't know lol

The Attempt at a Solution

so I drew the free body diagram but I really don't know where to go from there. I think the problem is i just don't know which equations to use. any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Use energies. It starts out with energy that carries it down the roof and stops at the bottom with zero final energy. There was work down on it to change the energy, frictional work.

W = Delta KE

What speed should you push the box?

1. What is the optimal speed for pushing a box?

The optimal speed for pushing a box depends on several factors, including the weight and size of the box, the surface it is being pushed on, and the strength and ability of the person pushing it. Generally, a steady, controlled pace is recommended to prevent injury and ensure the box is moved efficiently.

2. Is it better to push a box slowly or quickly?

It is generally better to push a box slowly and steadily rather than quickly. This allows for better control and reduces the risk of the box tipping over or causing injury to the person pushing it.

3. What happens if you push a box too fast?

If a box is pushed too fast, it can become difficult to control and may cause the box to tip over or collide with obstacles. This can also increase the risk of injury to the person pushing the box or anyone in the surrounding area.

4. Can pushing a box too fast damage the contents inside?

Yes, pushing a box too fast can potentially damage the contents inside. This is especially true for fragile items or items that are not securely packed. It is important to push the box at a controlled speed to prevent any damage.

5. Is there a maximum speed for pushing a box?

There is no specific maximum speed for pushing a box, as it depends on the factors mentioned before. However, it is generally recommended to avoid pushing a box at a speed that is beyond your control or puts anyone at risk of injury.