How Did I Calculate the Speed to Slide Nails Down a Roof?

• Thread starter mullets1200
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the speed needed to push a box of nails down a pitched roof to reach the edge where a friend is waiting. The solution involves using the equations of motion, specifically the force equations and the kinematic equations. The final answer is 2.7 m/s.
mullets1200

Homework Statement

Okay, so i am reviewing for an exam next week and I've been looking at my online homework and i ran across this problem and I cannot remember how I solved it:

You and your friend Peter are putting new shingles on a roof pitched at 23 degrees. You're sitting on the very top of the roof when Peter, who is at the edge of the roof directly below you, 5.4 m away, asks you for the box of nails. Rather than carry the 2.3 kg box of nails down to Peter, you decide to give the box a push and have it slide down to him.
f the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the roof is 0.50, with what speed should you push the box to have it gently come to rest right at the edge of the roof?

The answer is 2.7 m/s

I am blanking out and cannot remember how I solved this.

Homework Equations

I believe:
Fr=T-fk
a=Fr/m
V=Sqrt(2*a*Muk(fric. force))

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
mullets1200 said:

Homework Statement

Okay, so i am reviewing for an exam next week and I've been looking at my online homework and i ran across this problem and I cannot remember how I solved it:

You and your friend Peter are putting new shingles on a roof pitched at 23 degrees. You're sitting on the very top of the roof when Peter, who is at the edge of the roof directly below you, 5.4 m away, asks you for the box of nails. Rather than carry the 2.3 kg box of nails down to Peter, you decide to give the box a push and have it slide down to him.
f the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the roof is 0.50, with what speed should you push the box to have it gently come to rest right at the edge of the roof?

The answer is 2.7 m/s

I am blanking out and cannot remember how I solved this.

Homework Equations

I believe:
Fr=T-fk
a=Fr/m
V=Sqrt(2*a*Muk(fric. force))

The Attempt at a Solution

You started by drawing a free body diagram of the box, and applying the kinematic equations of motion. Show us your work as you re-create your original work toward the answer. LOL. :rolleyes:

Related to How Did I Calculate the Speed to Slide Nails Down a Roof?

1. How did you come up with the answer?

I used the scientific method to arrive at the answer. This involved making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to reach a conclusion.

2. Can you explain your thought process behind finding the answer?

My thought process involved critical thinking and problem-solving skills. I carefully examined all the information and evidence available and used logical reasoning to come to a conclusion.

3. Was your answer based on any previous research or studies?

Yes, my answer may have been influenced by previous research and studies in the field. I made sure to consider and build upon the existing knowledge and theories to arrive at a well-supported answer.

4. How confident are you in your answer?

I am confident in my answer because it is based on a thorough and systematic approach. I also took into account any potential biases or limitations that may have affected my findings.

5. Can your answer be replicated by others?

Yes, my answer should be replicable by others following the same scientific method and using the same data and evidence. This is a fundamental principle of science - results should be able to be reproduced by others in order to be considered valid.