What Test Tube/Cylinder is suitable for Faraday Effect?

In summary, the flat surfaces of a fluid tube will not affect the rotation of light when it travels through a solenoid. Another alternative that may work better is to use a glass rod, olive oil, or air instead of distilled water.
KShah423
I am a high school student replicating the Faraday Effect. I plan to insert a clear liquid, such as distilled water, into a container that will be located inside of solenoid. I plan on using a test tube, however, I have doubts on whether or not the curved bottom of a test tube will alter the transition of light when it travels inside of the solenoid.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_EcSreEAc2p00f3WEiF2-NiEvjQs5QbY2j7xpCciR3tv0oLkx.jpg

Above is an apparatus that is a very close approximation of my experiment. I plan to insert the test tube inside of the solenoid, held together by clay or an applicable substance that can hold the tube in place. Will the tube provide accurate rotation of the light regardless of its curved surface, and if not, is there another alternative I can use?
upload_2016-9-29_10-24-12.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
KShah423 said:
I am a high school student replicating the Faraday Effect. I plan to insert a clear liquid, such as distilled water, into a container that will be located inside of solenoid. I plan on using a test tube, however, I have doubts on whether or not the curved bottom of a test tube will alter the transition of light when it travels inside of the solenoid.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_EcSreEAc2p00f3WEiF2-NiEvjQs5QbY2j7xpCciR3tv0oLkx.jpg

Above is an apparatus that is a very close approximation of my experiment. I plan to insert the test tube inside of the solenoid, held together by clay or an applicable substance that can hold the tube in place. Will the tube provide accurate rotation of the light regardless of its curved surface, and if not, is there another alternative I can use?
View attachment 106676
I think you will need flat surfaces for the entry and exit windows of your fluid tube. Otherwise the curved surfaces will disrupt the polarization of the light and muddy your results.

Also, why are you planning on using distilled water? What is the Verdet constant of distilled water?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect

:smile:

I think you will need flat surfaces for the entry and exit windows of your fluid tube. Otherwise the curved surfaces will disrupt the polarization of the light and muddy your results.

Also, why are you planning on using distilled water? What is the Verdet constant of distilled water?

Thank you for your advice!
Would you know a market through which I can acquire a cheap fluid tube? I have looked in many places, Amazon for example, but I have only found test tubes with an open surface and a curved bottom, both of which are not what I need. I would appreciate it if you or anyone on the forum can assist me in finding this information.

I plan to use more than just distilled water, such as a glass rod, olive oil, air, etc. I am looking for common samples to test as it is fairly difficult to find relatively exotic samples. The Verdet constant of water is 1.17525E-6, which is minute, but I can try using higher voltage or a solenoid with more turns to observe the rotation.

KShah423 said:

Thank you for your advice!
Would you know a market through which I can acquire a cheap fluid tube? I have looked in many places, Amazon for example, but I have only found test tubes with an open surface and a curved bottom, both of which are not what I need. I would appreciate it if you or anyone on the forum can assist me in finding this information.

I plan to use more than just distilled water, such as a glass rod, olive oil, air, etc. I am looking for common samples to test as it is fairly difficult to find relatively exotic samples. The Verdet constant of water is 1.17525E-6, which is minute, but I can try using higher voltage or a solenoid with more turns to observe the rotation.
I would perhaps try gluing flat microscope glass slides onto the ends of a glass or plastic tube, with a hole drilled in the top for filling with liquid and draining.

BTW, if you want to quote another user in your reply, try clicking the "Reply" arrow in the lower left of their post. That will copy a quoted version into your reply window to make it easier to understand what is quoted. :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of using a test tube/cylinder in Faraday Effect experiments?

The test tube/cylinder is used to contain the sample material and allow for the application of a magnetic field, which is necessary for observing the Faraday Effect. It also helps to reduce external interference and maintain a consistent environment for the experiment.

2. What material should the test tube/cylinder be made of for Faraday Effect experiments?

The test tube/cylinder should be made of a non-magnetic material, such as glass or plastic. This is to ensure that the magnetic field is not affected by the material of the tube, which could lead to inaccurate results.

3. Does the size of the test tube/cylinder matter in Faraday Effect experiments?

Yes, the size of the test tube/cylinder can affect the strength and uniformity of the magnetic field. It is recommended to use a test tube/cylinder with a diameter of at least 2 cm for accurate results.

4. Can I use a test tube/cylinder with a rough surface for Faraday Effect experiments?

No, it is important to use a test tube/cylinder with a smooth surface to minimize light scattering and ensure clear observation of the Faraday Effect. A rough surface can also cause irregularities in the magnetic field.

5. Are there any other considerations when choosing a test tube/cylinder for Faraday Effect experiments?

Aside from the material and size, it is important to ensure that the test tube/cylinder is clean and free of any impurities that could affect the sample or the magnetic field. Additionally, the tube should be securely held in place to avoid any movement during the experiment.