1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What Test Tube/Cylinder is suitable for Faraday Effect?

1. Sep 29, 2016 #1
    I am a high school student replicating the Faraday Effect. I plan to insert a clear liquid, such as distilled water, into a container that will be located inside of solenoid. I plan on using a test tube, however, I have doubts on whether or not the curved bottom of a test tube will alter the transition of light when it travels inside of the solenoid.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_EcSreEAc2p00f3WEiF2-NiEvjQs5QbY2j7xpCciR3tv0oLkx.jpg

Above is an apparatus that is a very close approximation of my experiment. I plan to insert the test tube inside of the solenoid, held together by clay or an applicable substance that can hold the tube in place. Will the tube provide accurate rotation of the light regardless of its curved surface, and if not, is there another alternative I can use?
    upload_2016-9-29_10-24-12.jpeg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I think you will need flat surfaces for the entry and exit windows of your fluid tube. Otherwise the curved surfaces will disrupt the polarization of the light and muddy your results.

Also, why are you planning on using distilled water? What is the Verdet constant of distilled water?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect

:smile:

4. Sep 29, 2016 #3
    I think you will need flat surfaces for the entry and exit windows of your fluid tube. Otherwise the curved surfaces will disrupt the polarization of the light and muddy your results.

Also, why are you planning on using distilled water? What is the Verdet constant of distilled water?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect

Thank you for your advice!
    Would you know a market through which I can acquire a cheap fluid tube? I have looked in many places, Amazon for example, but I have only found test tubes with an open surface and a curved bottom, both of which are not what I need. I would appreciate it if you or anyone on the forum can assist me in finding this information.

I plan to use more than just distilled water, such as a glass rod, olive oil, air, etc. I am looking for common samples to test as it is fairly difficult to find relatively exotic samples. The Verdet constant of water is 1.17525E-6, which is minute, but I can try using higher voltage or a solenoid with more turns to observe the rotation.

5. Sep 29, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I would perhaps try gluing flat microscope glass slides onto the ends of a glass or plastic tube, with a hole drilled in the top for filling with liquid and draining.

BTW, if you want to quote another user in your reply, try clicking the "Reply" arrow in the lower left of their post. That will copy a quoted version into your reply window to make it easier to understand what is quoted. :smile:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted