What to do as a scientist between jobs

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter TeethWhitener
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs Scientist
In summary: This has been a problem forever. One of the professors in my graduate school was married for 20 years to a spouse on the opposite coast. In my own life, I moved from the east coast to the west coast of the USA for a dream job and my partner stayed on the east coast. We were very lucky indeed that we were only separated for less than a year before she found a position in the same metro area as me. Scientists have a hard time finding jobs. The author makes the right call moving back to the US if the ultimate goal was to continue his career. Missing out on his child's growth is heartbreaking. Academic spouses is a truly hard problem.
TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There have been a few threads recently about scientists having trouble landing jobs, either fresh out of school or after leaving a former job. People have been wondering what they should be doing to remain engaged with the scientific community to increase their employability. I saw this article in Nature today and thought it might be of some interest:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41...d-id=14106ABD036EC3920182767E690C23E19ADCA95E

• Informative
Likes jedishrfu, jasonRF, gwnorth and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a good article and highlights some of the real challenges in having a relationship between two academics. The jobs are few and far between and become more so the more specialized you are. The author made the right call moving back to the US if the ultimate goal was to continue his career. Missing out on his child’s growth is heartbreaking.

This has been a problem forever. One of the professors in my graduate school was married for 20 years to a spouse on the opposite coast. In my own life, I moved from the east coast to the west coast of the USA for a dream job and my partner stayed on the east coast. We were very lucky indeed that we were only separated for less than a year before she found a position in the same metro area as me.

Academic spouses is a truly hard problem. For high level hires, the hiring department can often help find work for the other spouse. Usually, though, in couples I know who both were academics, one or more of them ended up leaving the academy. I know I’m a special case, but that mostly comes down to luck.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Corporate hires could be different in that the one being hired might be able to secure a place for his/her spouse as well especially if they have skills needed by the employer.

The way to treat the question depends on how loosely you mean, "Scientists", and I guess, whether you meant scientists for the regular working world or scientists in the academic world.

When someone finds himself between jobs, the choices are which can possibly be combined,
  • Look for a job
  • Go to school to learn something, like maybe a single course which is either interesting or practical or both
  • Study something on your own, possibly related to your work.

Start your own company could be there as well even though its arguably more difficult to do.

analogdesign said:
the real challenges in having a relationship between two academics.
These were well known even when I was a graduate student 40+ years ago, as the "two-body problem."

My roommate during most of graduate school "hooked up" with another physics grad student the year before I finished. First they moved somewhere he could get a postdoc, and she did the best she could, job-wise. Then they moved somewhere she could get a postdoc, and he did the best he could, job-wise. Last I heard, many years ago, he got a position at Livermore Laboratories, no word about what she did. I lost touch with them so I have no idea what happened afterwards.

I didn't "hook up" until after I arrived at the college where I taught for many years. My wife was already tenured, in a completely different field (humanities). Fortunately I also got tenure in due course, not much of a challenge at that college, in those days. We're now retired, and still living in that town.

There were (and are) some other "faculty couples" in similar situations at the college. More common is/was the situation with one spouse on the faculty and the other (usually with a non-academic background) employed in the administration, the library, etc.

1. What skills should I focus on developing while between jobs as a scientist?

While between jobs, it is important to continue developing and honing your technical and analytical skills. This can include staying up to date on the latest research in your field, attending conferences and workshops, and participating in online courses or workshops. Additionally, it is valuable to improve your communication, teamwork, and project management skills, as these are essential in any scientific role.

2. How can I stay connected to the scientific community while between jobs?

There are several ways to stay connected to the scientific community while between jobs. One option is to join professional organizations or societies in your field, which often offer networking events and opportunities to collaborate with other scientists. Additionally, you can attend seminars and workshops at local universities or research institutions, or participate in online forums and discussion groups.

3. Should I consider taking on freelance or consulting work while between jobs as a scientist?

This ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and career goals. Freelance or consulting work can provide valuable experience and income during a job search, but it may also conflict with non-compete agreements or jeopardize future job opportunities. It is important to carefully consider the potential risks and benefits before taking on any freelance or consulting work.

4. How can I make the most of my time between jobs as a scientist?

There are several ways to make the most of your time between jobs as a scientist. First, prioritize your professional development by setting specific goals and creating a plan to achieve them. This can include attending conferences, networking, and learning new skills. Additionally, use this time to build your portfolio and update your resume and LinkedIn profile. Finally, take care of your physical and mental well-being by staying active, maintaining a healthy work-life balance, and seeking support from friends and colleagues.

5. What other career options should I consider while between jobs as a scientist?

While traditional roles in academia or industry may be the most familiar career paths for scientists, there are many other options to consider. These can include science communication, science policy, patent law, or consulting. It can be helpful to explore these options and speak with professionals in these fields to gain a better understanding of the skills and experience needed for these roles.