Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would you do if you cannot become a scientist?

1. Feb 28, 2014 #1

td21

Gold Member

I want to be a physicist in any area of physics. The reason is it is an ideal job for me. I love teaching and I love doing research.
    I enjoy sharing my knowledge and finding things out. In my mind, physicist = physics educator + physics researcher. Being a physicist can allow me to do both. I am interested in ALL areas of physics. Basically I am a physics geek. So I really hope that i can have the chance to become a physicist one day. But i know that a crucial step is to get a high-quality PhD degree.
    What would you do if you cannot become a scientist?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2014 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There's a good chance I would have ended up as a cop.

Through grad school I worked with our campus security as an auxiliary officer and loved it. In fact, there was a time when I had decided I'd had enough of graduate school and physics and decided I was going to become a cop and that was all there was to it. Unfortunately my vision didn't meet the requirements for most police forces and somehow that re-directed me back to physics - albeit in a different branch. I could have overcome that obstacle - laser eye surgery and such - but this physics thing has worked very well for me so far.

4. Mar 4, 2014 #3
    Yeah, probably a cop too. With the hopes of being a homicide detective at some point.

5. Mar 4, 2014 #4
    I don't know if this counts, since it is within the science field, but I'd probably be a veterinarian. If a vet doesn't count, i'd volunteer my time to run a homeless shelter/teen center or help people starving to death in africa or something. Do something to help my fellow creatures. Of course, I should probably use some of my time to do that anyways...

6. Mar 4, 2014 #5
    I am a chef already ^^ It's kind of a science mixed with feeling. I like it :P

7. Mar 4, 2014 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cooking is definitely science mixed with creativity.

8. Mar 4, 2014 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Interesting. Police officer was high on my list coming out of high school, but I ended up going into Engineering/Science. Now that I know how much I enjoy patient contacts and medicine, I would have gone into emergency medicine. Preferably an Emergency Department Doc. And maybe spending some time as a tactical medic/doc for PD... :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook