What to do with the e^(y^3)? I dont know how to integrate it.

• Thread starter Tadhg90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the problem is asking to evaluate the integral \displaystyle \int_0^{\,3}\int_{x^2}^{\,9} x^3 e^{y^3}\ dy\ dx by first reversing the order of integration. This involves changing the limits of integration and understanding the region of integration. The integral cannot be solved by simply changing the order of integration.
Tadhg90

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integral by first reversing the order of integration

ZZR x^3 e^(y^3) dxdy

The first integral is from 3 to 0 and the inner integral is from 9 to x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know how to revers the order its just changing dydx to dxdy
and x^3 is just x^4/4 but i don't know what to do with the e^(y^3)

Physics news on Phys.org
Tadhg90 said:

Homework Statement

ZZR x^3 e^(y^3) dxdy
ZZR? What is that?
Tadhg90 said:
Do you mean from 0 to 3 and from x^2 to 9? The usual practice is to state the lower limits of integration first.
Tadhg90 said:

Homework Equations

There's more to it than that. You need to change the limits of integration. To do that, it's helpful to sketch the region over which integration is taking place.
Tadhg90 said:
and x^3 is just x^4/4 but i don't know what to do with the e^(y^3)

ZZ is the double integral i copy pasted from adobe reader, R is just the values from 0 to 3 and from x^2 to 9 [yes i meant this way]

R stands for "region" - the region in the plane over which integration is taking place.

Do you know what this region looks like?

Tadhg90 said:

Homework Statement

ZZR x^3 e^(y^3) dxdy

Homework Equations

and x^3 is just x^4/4 but i don't know what to do with the e^{y^3)

I suspect your integral is: [tex]\displaystyle \int_0^{\,3}\int_{x^2}^{\,9} x^3 e^{y^3}\ dy\ dx[/tex]

yes that's the integral. but what is the integral of e^(y^3)? I am guessing than with respect to it doesn't change because of the x^3 beside it, i mean its not a constant to it, and then integrating it with respect to y would it be 3y^2 * e^(y^3). this is just a guess but i bont know if its right...

Tadhg90 said:
yes that's the integral. but what is the integral of e^(y^3)? I am guessing than with respect to it doesn't change because of the x^3 beside it, i mean its not a constant to it, and then integrating it with respect to y would it be 3y^2 * e^(y^3). this is just a guess but i bont know if its right...
That's not the integral you need to do, and most likely is not possible to do. That's the reason they're asking you to reverse the order of integration.

I asked in post #4, do you know what the region of integration looks like? You will need to know this in order to reverse the order of integration.

sorry, i didnt see that, eh no the R is nothing acctualy it was in the adobe example i tried to copy on here. in the problem it only says "Evaluate the following integral by first reversing the order of integration" it looks like what Sammys posted on post #5 except its dxdy like u just pointed out.

SammyS said:
I suspect your integral is: [tex]\displaystyle \int_0^{\,3}\int_{x^2}^{\,9} x^3 e^{y^3}\ dy\ dx[/tex]

Tadhg90 said:
sorry, i didnt see that, eh no the R is nothing acctualy it was in the adobe example i tried to copy on here. in the problem it only says "Evaluate the following integral by first reversing the order of integration" it looks like what Sammys posted on post #5 except its dxdy like u just pointed out.
Now I'm confused. The integral that Sammy wrote looks like what you described in your first post. With the limits of integration he shows, the correct order would by dy then dx.

If that's not how the integral is shown in your book, please scan the page and post it here.

Also, I have asked twice whether you know what the region of integration looks like? Do you?

I agree with Mark44- the integral, as you give it, makes no sense. You cannot integrate, with respect to x, from [itex]x^2[/itex] to 9.

[tex]\int_{x=0}^3\int_{y= x^2}^9 x^3e^{y^3}dydx[/tex]
can be integrated by changing the order of integration- but that is NOT "just changing dydx to dxdy". You have to also change the limits of integration. That is why Mark44 is asking you repeatedly if you know what the region looks like. That's the first step in changing the limits of integration.

1. What is e^(y^3) and why is it difficult to integrate?

e^(y^3) is a mathematical expression that represents the exponential function of y^3. It is difficult to integrate because it does not have a known antiderivative that can be expressed using elementary functions.

2. Can e^(y^3) be simplified to make it easier to integrate?

No, e^(y^3) cannot be simplified using algebraic or trigonometric identities. It is a unique mathematical expression that cannot be simplified further.

3. Are there any techniques that can be used to integrate e^(y^3)?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to approximate the integral of e^(y^3). These include numerical integration methods such as Simpson's rule and Monte Carlo integration.

4. Is it possible to express e^(y^3) in terms of other functions?

Yes, e^(y^3) can be expressed using infinite series expansions and special functions such as the error function and the gamma function. However, these expressions are not considered elementary functions and are still difficult to integrate.

5. How is e^(y^3) used in scientific research?

e^(y^3) is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to model various physical and chemical processes. It is also used in statistics and probability to describe the distribution of data. In scientific research, e^(y^3) often appears in differential equations, which are used to model complex systems and phenomena.