What to take as p(x,y) and q(x,y) with partials

  • Thread starter Thread starter prace
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
prace
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
http://album6.snapandshare.com/3936/45466/845529.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your DE is P(x,y)dx + Q(x,y)dy = 0 and you want to find out if it is exact.

The equation will be exact if [tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}[/tex].

You have P(x,y) = 5x + 4y giving [tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial y}=4[/tex]

And Q(x,y) = 4x - 8y² giving [tex]\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} = 4[/tex]

Have a look at http://www.sosmath.com/diffeq/first/exact/exact.html" and see if it helps.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great, I took a quick glance at the sight and it looks as if that will help a lot. I will have to take a deeper look into it later this afternoon, but I just wanted to say thanks for your imput. I'll let you know if I have any more problems. =p

thanks! ^_^