1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral involving partial fractions and roots

1. Jun 27, 2006 #1

PS. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help so far. This is a really great forum and I am receiving tons of help. I like how people here are not just blurting the answers, but are actually feeding me ideas so that I may work them out. Everyone here is really helping me learn this stuff!! Thanks again. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you forgot to do partial fractions! (e.g. you didn't factor the denominator...)
  4. Jun 27, 2006 #3
    :tongue2: haha... I know the demoninator is not factored there. I just left the equation like that so it was complete for the posting. I know I have to factor it and do the whole partial fractions bit, but this is where my problem lies.

For example, what I have on paper is that I took the 272 out of the integral, which left u/(u(u+4)) inside the integral.

But then the partial fractions do not come out right for me.
  5. Jun 28, 2006 #4
    There is a common factor of u in both the numerator and denominator of that fraction, cancel it out and then it should be a very simple integral.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?