Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integral involving partial fractions and roots

1. Jun 27, 2006 #1
    http://album6.snapandshare.com/3936/45466/776941.jpg [Broken]

PS. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help so far. This is a really great forum and I am receiving tons of help. I like how people here are not just blurting the answers, but are actually feeding me ideas so that I may work them out. Everyone here is really helping me learn this stuff!! Thanks again. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you forgot to do partial fractions! (e.g. you didn't factor the denominator...)

4. Jun 27, 2006 #3
    :tongue2: haha... I know the demoninator is not factored there. I just left the equation like that so it was complete for the posting. I know I have to factor it and do the whole partial fractions bit, but this is where my problem lies.

For example, what I have on paper is that I took the 272 out of the integral, which left u/(u(u+4)) inside the integral.

But then the partial fractions do not come out right for me.

5. Jun 28, 2006 #4
    There is a common factor of u in both the numerator and denominator of that fraction, cancel it out and then it should be a very simple integral.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook