azoulay said:
The reason for the NO gravity is that we're only arguing in the trajectory of the bullet while it's moving upwards.
The only force that I thought was important in the upward trajectory of the bullet was the rotation of the Earth on itself. But maybe I'm mistaken ?
Gravity affects its entire path. Gravity is what pulls its trajectory back to Earth.
azoulay said:
That's a bit what we're arguing about. My friend seems to add 2 vectors: one going straight up to space (perpendicular to earth) and another vector going East and this one being PERPENDICULAR to the first vector. That is why he is concluding that the resultant will be a diagonal.
True.
azoulay said:
For me, I'm seeing the first vector the same way as he does, (going straight up to space perpendicular to earth) but I see the second vector differently. I see the second vector also going East but NOT being perpendicular to the first vector. This second vector, I see it as going East but it's a curved vector (because the Earth rotating on itself is a curved force).
There is no such thing as a curved force.
The force acting on the bullet by the gun is tangential to the gun's curved path. The only point of concern on the gun's path is the instant the bullet leaves it. And at that point, the force is due East. Once the bullet leaves the gun, there is no force acting on the bullet. In particular, there is no force moving it Eastward, or along the Earth's rotation. It will proceed along the same
straight path unless acted upon by another force. The only forces left are gravity or air resistance. If you rule them out, the bullet goes straight.
See attached diagram.
azoulay said:
I understand that two observers (one on earth, on in space) would see two different trajectory but is there a "REAL" trajectory notwithstanding the observers location ?
No. There' no "real" trajectory.
However, the observer hanging in space will be able to account for all forces acting on the object without having to invent fictitious forces to explain the bullet's path. The observer on the Earth will see some odd curvature - not because the
bullet's path is curving away from the
observer - but because the
observer's path is curving away from the
bullet!
azoulay said:
I don't understand how it could end up being a spiral path?
If the bullet rises away from the observer while the observer spins underneath (over days or weeks) the observer will see the bullet diappear over the horizon and reappear ever farther way with each reappearance (a half day later). To him, it will apear as if the bullet is climbing a long spiraling path away from Earth.