What type of heat transfer is this? Conduction, convector, or radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of heat transfer in a pan used to boil water. It is determined that the transfer of heat is through a medium, and the process of elimination leads to the conclusion that it is conduction. The difference between conduction and convection is also mentioned, with convection involving a fluid flow through a surface.
pyroknife
We have a pan that is used to boil water. There are 2 surfaces to the pan. One is touching the water and the other is touching the stove, obviously. We have heat that is transferred to to pan's bottom.

I know what all 3 are and process of elimination tells me this is conduction.
Is it conduction because the heat transfer is through a medium where each surface of the pan is at a different temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
We have a pan that is used to boil water. There are 2 surfaces to the pan. One is touching the water and the other is touching the stove, obviously. We have heat that is transferred to to pan's bottom.

I know what all 3 are and process of elimination tells me this is conduction.
Is it conduction because the heat transfer is through a medium where each surface of the pan is at a different temperature?

Convection is also heat transfer through a medium between regions of different temperature. Why is this different from convection?

Convection involves a fluid flowing through a surface. This generates a velocity profile that starts at 0 velocity at the surface (no slip condition) and gradually increases to the free stream velocity at the boundary layer's exit.

1. What is conduction heat transfer?

Conduction heat transfer is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects or substances. Heat is transferred from the hotter object to the cooler object, resulting in a temperature equilibrium.

2. How does convection heat transfer work?

Convection heat transfer is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids (liquids or gases). As the fluid is heated, it becomes less dense and rises, carrying heat with it. This creates a circulation of hot and cold fluids, resulting in heat transfer.

3. What is radiation heat transfer?

Radiation heat transfer is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. Unlike conduction and convection, radiation does not require a medium to transfer heat. Instead, heat is transferred through space and can travel through a vacuum.

4. What factors affect the type of heat transfer that occurs?

The type of heat transfer that occurs is affected by factors such as temperature difference, material properties, and the presence of a medium. For example, conduction is more effective in solids, while convection is more effective in liquids and gases.

5. How can I determine which type of heat transfer is occurring?

To determine which type of heat transfer is occurring, you can observe the heat source and the medium through which heat is being transferred. Conduction usually occurs when two objects are in direct contact, convection occurs when there is movement of fluids, and radiation occurs when there is no physical contact between the heat source and the object being heated.