What unanswered questions remain in optics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaxophoneofTim
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
SaxophoneofTim
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
If so, what are they?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, not in the way that "we don't understand how [...]". There could still be some undiscovered effect somewhere, but all observations of light agree with current theories.
You can always ask "why is physics that way", of course, and physics cannot answer it.
 
I agree with mfb, but will add that applications of optics including photonics, quantum information and control, and non-linear optics used for imaging are very active fields. People are still learning about interesting optical phenomena, but at a fundamental level, it appears to be well understood.
 
I will add, in response to Mfb, that there is no "why" in science, only "how". "Why" implies some sort of purpose, and such doesn't exist.