What Value of d/a Causes Diffraction to Eliminate the Third Bright Side Fringe?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Zhalfirin88
Messages
137
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


(a) In a double-slit system, what value of d/a causes diffraction to eliminate the third bright side fringe?

Homework Equations


[tex]I(\theta) = I_mcos^2(\beta)(\frac{sin(\alpha)}{\alpha})^2[/tex]

[tex]\beta =\frac{\pi d}{\lambda} sin \theta[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{\pi a}{\lambda} sin \theta[/tex]

[tex]d sin\theta = 3 \lambda[/tex]

[tex]a sin\theta = (3+\frac{1}{2}) \lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I solved for a and d in equations 4 and 5 above and got a ratio of 0.857, which isn't right. I'm not sure really how to go about this, I have a feeling that I need to use equations 2 and 3 but I'm not making the connections.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is everyone as lost as I am with this problem?
 
Zhalfirin88 said:
[tex]d sin\theta = 3 \lambda[/tex]
Yes, the angle θ corresponds to the 3rd maximum (not counting central max) in the 2-slit interference term cos2β

[tex]a sin\theta = (3+\frac{1}{2}) \lambda[/tex]
Actually, the idea here is that θ also corresponds to the first minimum of the diffraction term [(sinα)/α]2