What was the initial polarization direction of the incident light?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
xQuin
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two polarizers are oriented at 40deg to each other and plane-polarized light is incident on them. If only 15% of the light gets through both of them, what twas the initial polarization directon of the incident light?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I think it ha something to do with Malus's Law but I'm not sure exactly how
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi xQuin! welcome to pf! :wink:

yes, assume that the angle of polarization to the first polarizer is θ …

how much goes through the first polarizer, and how much of that goes through the second?

show us what you get :smile:​
 
Thanks tim, I applied the law twice and managed to get an answer of 59.6deg =D