What was the jets speed from bangkok to tokyo

In summary: . in summary, the jet flew from tokyo to bangkok and the speed was decreased by 200km/h. the jet flew back and the speed was 2x the original speed.
joey813
Hi i am stuck on this question i feel like i am missing information to solve it.

A jet flew from Tokyo to Bangkok, a distance of 4800km. on the return trip, the speed was decreased by 200km/h. if the difference in times of the flights was 2 hours, what was the jets speed from bangkok to tokyo.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? What are the relevant formulas?

i have tried to work up a formula using speed=distance/time and in previous questions i would have to put it into ax^2+bx+c form and then factor to find the x intercepts but this time it isn't working for me.

What are the equations you've tried to set up using the distance = speed * time formula? You should have two equations in terms of velocity and time, which you can then eliminate time and solve for velocity.

i had a previous question that said the total round trip was 13 hours so what i did there was

4800/x+4800/x-200=13 and then eventually solved the equation

but now i don't know what to do because the equation looks like this for me

4800/x +4800/x-200=2 and that dosn't seem to work out for me

No, this question is slightly different and you can make things much easier on yourself if you create two equations and solve them simultaneously - even for the previous questions you've been answering.

The first equation involves the travel to and the second from.

Use [tex]\frac{d}{v}=t[/tex] where d=distance, v=velocity, t=time

This formula will apply to both equations, but think carefully about what the velocity and time are going to be for each of them. Say if you let v be the velocity of the plane when headed to its destination, then what will the velocity be in terms of v when headed back?

thanks for your help mentallic but i am still very confused. i don't know what you mean by "the first equation involved the travel to and the second form."

You are going to have to create two equations. Each will involve the variables v and t which is for velocity and time respectively. You first equation is going to be describing the journey to its destination, again, use d=vt and plug in what you know and keep what you don't know a variable. The second equation will be the journey back and you still use d=vt but you change some things such as how it says the speed is decreased by 200 km/h so you use (v-200) to substitute into the velocity part of the formula. Can you take it from here?

EDIT: I went off elsewhere and didn't simply answer your question. I spoke loosely with my words, I meant the first equation will describe your journey to its destination and your second equation will describe your journey back.

hah yes thank you very much for your help i figured out what i was doing wrong

What was the jets speed from Bangkok to Tokyo?

The average speed of a commercial jet from Bangkok to Tokyo is approximately 900 km/h or 560 mph.

How long does it take to fly from Bangkok to Tokyo?

The average flight time from Bangkok to Tokyo is approximately 6 hours.

What factors can affect the jet's speed during the flight?

The jet's speed can be affected by factors such as wind speed, air traffic control restrictions, and the weight of the aircraft.

Is the jet's speed constant throughout the entire flight?

No, the jet's speed can vary throughout the flight due to changing weather conditions, air traffic, and adjustments made by the pilot.

How do scientists calculate the jet's speed during a flight?

Scientists use instruments such as a pitot tube and airspeed indicator to measure the jet's speed based on air pressure and other variables. They also take into account the aircraft's weight, wind speed, and other factors for a more accurate calculation.