Quadratic application question what was the jets speed from Bangkok to Tokyo

In summary, a quadratic application question is a type of problem that involves using quadratic equations to solve for unknown variables in real-world scenarios. To solve these questions, one must identify the unknown variables and use algebraic methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. In this context, "jet speed" refers to the speed of an airplane, specifically on a flight from Bangkok to Tokyo. To find the speed of the jet, one can use the distance formula and solve for the rate. This question is useful for scientists as it allows them to apply mathematical concepts to real-world situations and improve problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
Wild ownz al
Hey this Quadratic application question is giving me trouble.

A jet flew from Tokyo to Bangkok, a distance of 4800km. On the return trip, the speed was decreased by 200km/h. If the difference in the times of the flights was 2 hours, what was the jets speed from Bangkok to Tokyo?

Just need the formula for the Jets speed and I should be fine with the rest.

This was my guess: 4800 = (x-200)(-2x)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wild ownz al said:
Hey this Quadratic application question is giving me trouble.

A jet flew from Tokyo to Bangkok, a distance of 4800km. On the return trip, the speed was decreased by 200km/h. If the difference in the times of the flights was 2 hours, what was the jets speed from Bangkok to Tokyo?

Just need the formula for the Jets speed and I should be fine with the rest.

This was my guess: 4800 = (x-200)(-2x)

Hello, and welcome to MHB! (Wave)

I've moved your question to its own thread.

I would use the fact that time is distance per average speed. Let distances be measured in km and time in hrs. Let \(v\) be the plane's speed from Bangkok to Tokyo.

\(\displaystyle t-2=\frac{4800}{v+200}\)

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{4800}{v}\)

Now, these equations imply:

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{4800}{v+200}+2=\frac{4800}{v}\)

Multiply through by \(v(v+200)\):

\(\displaystyle 4800v+2v(v+200)=4800(v+200)\)

Distribute after dividing through by 2, then collect like terms and arrange in standard form:

\(\displaystyle v^2+200v-480000=0\)

Factor:

\(\displaystyle (v+800)(v-600)=0\)

Discarding the negative root, we find:

\(\displaystyle v=600\)

Does this make sense?

AMAZING you are brilliant. Thank you :)

Wild ownz al said:
AMAZING you are brilliant. Thank you :)

If the plane's speed is "decreased" by 200km/h then shouldn't it be (v - 200) instead of (v + 200)?

Also if you ended up with two roots how do you know which one is the planes speed?

Wild ownz al said:
If the plane's speed is "decreased" by 200km/h then shouldn't it be (v - 200) instead of (v + 200)?

The first equation represents the first leg of the journey, from Tokyo to Bangkok. But, \(v\) represents the speed on the second leg, the return trip, where the speed has been decreased by 200. And so the speed on the first leg must be \(v+200\).

Wild ownz al said:
Also if you ended up with two roots how do you know which one is the planes speed?

Speed, in order to have any meaning, must be positive (it is a magnitude like distance), and so we discard the negative root.

1. What is a quadratic application question?

A quadratic application question is a type of problem that involves using quadratic equations to solve for unknown variables. These questions often involve real-world scenarios where quadratic equations can be used to model the situation.

2. How do you solve a quadratic application question?

To solve a quadratic application question, you first need to identify the unknown variables and create a quadratic equation that represents the situation. Then, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula to solve for the variables.

3. What is the meaning of "jet speed" in this question?

In this context, "jet speed" refers to the speed of an airplane, specifically the speed of a jet plane that traveled from Bangkok to Tokyo.

4. How do I find the speed of the jet from Bangkok to Tokyo?

To find the speed of the jet from Bangkok to Tokyo, you will need to use the distance formula (d = rt) and the given information about the distance and time of the flight. You can then solve for the rate (speed) of the jet.

5. Why is this question useful for scientists?

This question is useful for scientists because it allows them to apply mathematical concepts, such as quadratic equations, to real-world situations. It also helps them practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are essential in the field of science.