1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What was the total time of fall?

1. Aug 25, 2008 #1
    A ball, dropped from rest, covers three-sevenths of the distance to the ground in the last two seconds of its fall.

(a) From what height was the ball dropped?
    _m
    (b) What was the total time of fall?
    _s

For a, don't i need the final velocity to solve the problem? Vi=o A=-9.81?
    2 days ago - 1 day left to answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Kinematics!

No, you don't need the final velocity (although you can calculate it after you have solved b). I presume you know that the height of the ball after t seconds is s= h- (1/2)At2= h- 4.905t2. It will hit the ground when s= h- 4.905t2= 0 so the time it hits the ground, T, is [itex]T= \sqrt{h/4.905}[/itex].
    the ball "covers three-sevenths of the distance to the ground in the last two seconds of its fall." which tells us that [itex]s(T- 2)= h- 4.905(\sqrt{h/4.905}- 2)^2= (3/7) h[/itex].
    Solve that equation for h.

4. Aug 25, 2008 #3
    Re: Kinematics!

[itex]s(T- 2)= h- 4.905(\sqrt{h/4.905}- 2)^2= (3/7) h[/itex]. For that part, i just do [itex]h- 4.905(\sqrt{h/4.905}- 2)^2= (3/7) h[/itex] that and solve for h?

i got 45.78 for h, but it didn't work out ;(

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?