1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What weights are required for this progressive braking system?

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    Hi there

I'm building a zipline and want to create a simple braking system that will progressively slow a 250lb person (me) from a top speed of about 30mph to zero in about 10'

The braking system is as shown in the attachment.

I'm a long time out of college, so although I recall the principles, I can't recall the math involved in calculating these forces.

Can anyone help me figure out the weighs required for A, B, C and D? Ideally I'd like to know the formulas so I can recalculate for smaller and larger people and design a system that will accommodate a weight range of 70lbs to 275lbs.

Thanks

PS, Just in case you're wondering, this is NOT homework, I really am building a zipline in my backyard!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Energy to be removed should be equal to the energy taken from braking:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} m_{p} v^{2} = Td[/tex]

Where:

[tex]m_{p}[/tex] = mass of person

[tex]v[/tex] = initial velocity

[tex]T[/tex] = tension in cable

[tex]d[/tex] = braking distance

The tension in the cable is (assuming all masses A, B, C & D are equal and each is [tex]m_{w}[/tex] and that the cables are vertical):

[tex]2T = m_{w} g[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]m_{w} = \frac{m_{p}v^{2}}{gd}[/tex]

The energy stored in the masses will be:

[tex]4m_{w} gh[/tex]

Where [tex]h[/tex] is the height the masses will move. So:

[tex]h = \frac{d}{8}[/tex]

4. Jun 23, 2010 #3
    Thanks Jack!

Using your formulas I come up with the following:

Td=0.5 * 113kg * 12.5m/s * 12.5m/s = 8828 Newtons (Kinetic Energy)

Mw=(113 kg * 12.5m/s * 12.5m/s) / (9.8 m/s/s * 3m)=600kg

h = 3m/8 = .375m

Based on my experimental device 600kg seems like too much. Did I get the math right?

The way I was trying to tackle the problems was using incline plane formula, I had the Momentum figured as Mass * Velocity = 113kg * 12.5 = 1417N

Based on a 2 second deceleration, I therefore need 708N/s. Dividing by g, I get 72kg of weight required. Hmm, something is amiss!

The other thing is, do I need to consider the angle of travel down the line?

Based on inclined plane formula, if I take the Sine of the line angle (3.4 degrees), the resultant kinetic energy is reduced. Is this relevant?

Thanks again

5. Jun 23, 2010 #4

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Response included in quote:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook