Calculating Stopping Time for a Flywheel & Disk Brake System

In summary, the flywheel is spinning at 300 radians per second in a counter-clockwise direction, with a brake force of 5kN applied to it. To calculate the time it will take for the flywheel to stop rotating, the area of the friction plate, friction force, and torque of the brake are needed. The mass and inertia of the flywheel can also be calculated using its dimensions and material. Using Newton's second law for rotational motion, the time can be calculated as 2.28 seconds. However, taking into account the friction force and radius of the flywheel, the time is calculated to be 3.802 seconds. The calculated mass of the flywheel is 835kg
Mika-999

Homework Statement

Hey y'all. Heres the problem:

The flywheel to the right is spinning at 300 radians per second in a counter clockwise direction. The
brake (to the left) is applied with a force F of 5kN.

How long will it take the flywheel to stop rotating?

Assume:
 The flywheel is made of steel
 The units above are in cm
 The brake disc uses all the friction surface area on the flywheel

flywheel.JPG

Homework Equations

Here are the relevant equations:

Friction: 2500 N
Area of friction plate: 0.1018 m^2
Torque (brake): 2250 N.m
Inertia (don't have mass):

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm fairly stumped at which direction to take. At the moment my attempt goes something like this:

1. working out the area that the disk brake will affect
2. working out the friction force that will be applied from the disk brake to the flywheel
3. the amount of torque the brake has

Then somehow linking stuff together...

How i imagined the problem:

speed of the flywheel --> disk brake is applied --> the friction of the brake to the flywheel will slow it down --> result is it will stop moving.

How to get time from all of this baffles me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time in advance!

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-3_11-58-55.png
    upload_2015-6-3_11-58-55.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 712
Physics news on Phys.org
Mika-999 said:

Homework Statement

The flywheel to the right is spinning at 300 radians per second in a counter clockwise direction. The

Assume:

View attachment 84399

Homework Equations

[/B]
I'm fairly stumped at which direction to take. At the moment my attempt goes something like this:

2. working out the friction force that will be applied from the disk brake to the flywheel

speed of the flywheel --> disk brake is applied --> the friction of the brake to the flywheel will slow it down --> result is it will stop moving.

How to get time from all of this baffles me.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Finding the torque may be your biggest problem .

How are torque and angular acceleration related ?

Mika-999 said:

Homework Statement

Assume:

View attachment 84399

Homework Equations

[/B]

How to get time from all of this baffles me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Why can't you calculate the mass & inertia of the flywheel?

You are given the dimensions of the flywheel and its material. Not everything will be handed to you on a platter.

Okay, following the lead given by SteamKing (thank you for the point out).

The mass calculation went as follows:

mass = density x area x width
= 169 kg

The inertia of the flywheel is then given by:

I =(1/2)mr^2
= 17.111 kg.m^2

Then i was thinking of using Newtons second law of F = ma but for a rotational setting, so it becomes τ=Iα
and as α = ω/t , i can substitute that in and solve for t, which ends up giving me 2.28 sec.

Using the torque given by the brake:

τ = Fr
= 5 kN x 0.45 m
= 2250 N.m

However i was thinking that the value I'm using for F doesn't include the friction and r is in reference to the whole flywheel. So from this i decided to take F = 5kN + 2500N and r as 0.18m.

Substituting this into the procedure above and i get t = 3.802 sec

Mika-999 said:
Okay, following the lead given by SteamKing (thank you for the point out).

The mass calculation went as follows:

= 169 kg

I've tried to confirm your mass calculation for the flywheel, but I'm not getting your result.

Can you show all your calculation details for the mass of the flywheel?

My mistake. Following the below procedure i get 835kg not 169kg

This is what i assumed you can do to calculate mass.

= 8050 x (pi x 0.45^2) x 0.163
=835 kg

(mass seems a little too big for the actual size of this flywheel though)

Anyways, calculating the time with this mass gives 18.787 sec

Mika-999 said:
My mistake. Following the below procedure i get 835kg not 169kg

This is what i assumed you can do to calculate mass.

= 8050 x (pi x 0.45^2) x 0.163
=835 kg

(mass seems a little too big for the actual size of this flywheel though)

Anyways, calculating the time with this mass gives 18.787 sec
I agree with your calculation of the mass, except the density of steel seems a little high.

This table:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metal-alloys-densities-d_50.html

gives a density of 7850 kg / m3 for both iron and mild steel. I think you have used a density value for some sort of stainless or other alloy steel, which you probably wouldn't find used making a simple flywheel.

That was pretty careless of me, i took the first answer google gave me and took that as an absolute.

So, now using a density of 7850 kg / m3 and plugging it in, gives me 18.315 sec

- would you say this is a hit or a miss value?

Mika-999 said:
{Looking at the method used to determine the braking torque}
Using the torque given by the brake:

τ = Fr
= 5 kN x 0.45 m
= 2250 N.m

However i was thinking that the value I'm using for F doesn't include the friction and r is in reference to the whole flywheel. So from this i decided to take F = 5kN + 2500N and r as 0.18m.

Substituting this into the procedure above and i get t = 3.802 sec

The force applied to the flywheel brake, 5 kN, can't be assumed to brake the flywheel directly. You must calculate the actual amount of friction force which opposes the rotary motion of the flywheel. The force applied to the brake is applied perpendicular to the motion of the flywheel and cannot retard its motion except by creating the friction between the brake and the brake pad attached to the flywheel.

In any event, you couldn't assume that the braking force is applied at the outer radius of the flywheel.

No of course, the brake only applies to the friction surface which it is applied to.

With that in mind then, the retarding force is 2 500 N and the brake torque must only be applicable to 0.30-0.12 = 0.18m

The time i now get is 54.945 sec

Mika-999 said:
No of course, the brake only applies to the friction surface which it is applied to.

With that in mind then, the retarding force is 2 500 N and the brake torque must only be applicable to 0.30-0.12 = 0.18m

The time i now get is 54.945 sec
I think you should show your braking calculations as revised after correcting the mass of the flywheel. It's hard to follow these calculations piecemeal.

1. What is a flywheel and disk brake system?

A flywheel and disk brake system is a type of braking system commonly used in vehicles. It consists of a rotating flywheel, connected to the engine, and a stationary disk brake, which is connected to the wheels. When the brake pedal is pressed, the brake pads are pressed against the disk, causing friction and slowing down the rotation of the flywheel, which in turn slows down the vehicle.

2. How does a flywheel and disk brake system work?

The flywheel and disk brake system works based on the principle of friction. When the brake pedal is pressed, hydraulic pressure is applied to the brake pads, causing them to press against the disk. This creates friction between the two surfaces, which converts the kinetic energy of the rotating flywheel into heat energy. The heat is then dissipated into the air, causing the vehicle to slow down.

3. What are the advantages of a flywheel and disk brake system?

One of the main advantages of a flywheel and disk brake system is its efficiency. It allows for smooth and consistent braking, even in high-speed situations. It also has a longer lifespan compared to other types of braking systems, as there is less wear and tear on the components. Additionally, the system is relatively lightweight and compact, making it suitable for use in a wide range of vehicles.

4. What are the potential issues with a flywheel and disk brake system?

One potential issue with a flywheel and disk brake system is brake fade, which occurs when the brakes overheat and lose their ability to slow down the vehicle. This can be caused by prolonged and aggressive braking, or by using brakes that are not properly maintained. Another issue is brake noise, which can be caused by worn brake pads or warped disks. Regular maintenance and proper usage can help prevent these issues.

5. How can a flywheel and disk brake system be improved?

One way to improve the performance of a flywheel and disk brake system is by using high-quality brake pads and disks. This can improve the braking efficiency and reduce the risk of brake fade. Additionally, advancements in materials and technology can lead to the development of lighter and more durable components, making the system more efficient and reliable. Regular maintenance and proper usage are also essential for optimal performance and longevity of the system.