What will be the change in temperature of the water?

In summary, using the first law of thermodynamics, we can set up expressions for the amount of heat lost by the iron bar and the amount of heat gained by the water in terms of the final temperature of the system. Since these two values must be equal, we can equate the expressions and solve for the final temperature, which will also be the change in temperature of the water. This approach does not assume that the change in temperature for the water is equal to the change in temperature for the iron, but rather that the amount of heat lost by the iron is equal to the amount of heat gained by the water.
Khemkhajon

Homework Statement

A 500.0-g iron bar at 212 C is placed in 2.0 L of water at 24.0 C. What will be the change in temperature of the water ( Assume no heat is lost to the surroundings.)

Homework Equations

(Mass of substance)(Specific Heat of substance)( Change in Temp)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a lot of trouble with this problem. I don't fully understand how I use that forumula to find the change? I know the answer is 5 C. But I don't understand how. I was wondering if someone could explain how you come about to get this answer using the formulas cause this would be very helpful? Do I have to convert anything or what? So confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the first law of thermodynamics (conservation of energy), we know that the amount of heat lost by the iron bar will be equal to the amount of heat gained by the water. Assuming the final temperature of the system is the variable T, you can express the change in temperature of the iron bar in terms of T and calculate the amount of heat lost (in terms of T). You can set up a similar expression to calculate the amount of heat gained by the water in terms of T. Then, because you know that the amount of heat lost by the iron equals the amount of heat gained by the water, you can set the two expressions equal and solve for T.

Ygggdrasil said:
From the first law of thermodynamics (conservation of energy), we know that the amount of heat lost by the iron bar will be equal to the amount of heat gained by the water. Assuming the final temperature of the system is the variable T, you can express the change in temperature of the iron bar in terms of T and calculate the amount of heat lost (in terms of T). You can set up a similar expression to calculate the amount of heat gained by the water in terms of T. Then, because you know that the amount of heat lost by the iron equals the amount of heat gained by the water, you can set the two expressions equal and solve for T.

regarding this problem my dear brother, if we use the way you explained, then we are assuming
that the change in Temp for water equals the chane in Temp of Iron, the thing that can't
be proven, because the only thing that can be proven is that the heat(q) lost by the iron is equal to the heat gained by the water..would you please clarify it more for me, because I've
the same problem but it's a little bit more complicated because neither of lost and gain heat is given and am still stuck for the last few days...really grateful for ur help

Last edited:

1. How does the temperature of water change?

The temperature of water can change due to a variety of factors, such as heating or cooling from an external source, mixing with other liquids of different temperatures, or changes in atmospheric temperature.

2. What is the relationship between water temperature and air temperature?

The temperature of water is often influenced by the temperature of the surrounding air. When the air is warmer than the water, the water will usually absorb heat and increase in temperature. On the other hand, if the air is cooler than the water, the water will lose heat and decrease in temperature.

3. How does the depth of water affect its temperature?

The temperature of water can change with depth due to differences in heat absorption and circulation. In general, water near the surface is more influenced by air temperature, while deeper water is affected by ocean currents and thermohaline circulation.

4. What is the impact of climate change on water temperature?

Climate change can have a significant impact on water temperature. As global temperatures rise, the temperature of oceans, lakes, and rivers can also increase. This can have a wide range of consequences, including changes in marine life, weather patterns, and water quality.

5. How can we measure the change in temperature of water?

The change in temperature of water can be measured using a thermometer or other temperature-sensing devices. Scientists also use data from satellites and ocean buoys to track changes in ocean temperatures over time.