What will be the speed of the wave on this string?

In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for help with finding the speed of a wave on a string with given linear density and tension. The other person responds by asking if they have done any work or have any ideas on where to start, and suggests looking up the wave equation on Google. The conversation then takes a turn as the second person questions the first person's level of preparedness and suggests using resources such as a textbook, paying attention in class, and taking notes.
brandon26
:confused: Suppose you have a string with a linear density of 26.9g/m. A tension of 57.9 N is applied to this string. What will be the speed of the wave on this string?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you show us some of your work first? :)

What have you done so far? Or at least what are your thoughts on where you could possibly start?

If I knew where to start, or if I have done some working, would I be here?

Google "the wave equation"

brandon26 said:
If I knew where to start, or if I have done some working, would I be here?

I refuse to believe you are totally clueless. Do you have a textbook? Do you listen during lecture? Do you take notes?

1. What factors affect the speed of a wave on a string?

The speed of a wave on a string is affected by several factors, including the tension of the string, the mass per unit length of the string, and the medium through which the wave is traveling.

2. How is the speed of a wave on a string calculated?

The speed of a wave on a string can be calculated using the equation v = √(T/μ), where v is the speed of the wave, T is the tension of the string, and μ is the mass per unit length of the string.

3. Does the shape or length of the string affect the speed of the wave?

The speed of a wave on a string is not affected by the shape or length of the string, as long as the tension and mass per unit length remain constant.

4. How does the medium affect the speed of a wave on a string?

The speed of a wave on a string is affected by the properties of the medium through which it is traveling. For example, waves will travel faster on a tightly stretched string compared to a loosely hanging string, due to the increased tension.

5. Can the speed of a wave on a string be changed?

Yes, the speed of a wave on a string can be changed by altering the tension or mass per unit length of the string. It can also be affected by changing the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling.